Convicted murderer who stabbed Frankie Prineas 37 times has jail sentence extended

·

Convicted killer, Jayscen Anthony Newby, will spend at least five more years in jail after the ACT Court of Appeal found his original sentence was “manifestly inadequate,” ABC News reports.

Newby was sentenced to 20 years in jail and a 10-year non-parole period in June last year, after stabbing Frankie Prineas to death while he was on a Tinder date with a woman Newby had known.

READ MORE: Man faces court after pleading guilty to murdering Greek Australian Frankie Prineas.

At the time of Newby’s trial, ACT Chief Justice Helen Murrell described the murder scene, at a home in Charnwood in Canberra’s north, as a “bloodbath.”

The murder scene at a home in Charnwood in Canberra’s north.

Prineas’ family also said the sentence was too short and that they were “stunned” by the outcome.

READ MORE: ‘Absolutely stunned’: Family react to 20 year sentence for murder of Frankie Prineas.

In response, ACT Director of Public Prosecutions, Shane Drumgold, called for a tougher sentence. He told the court that Newby was given too large a discount on his sentence for his plea of guilty and cooperation in the court process.

Convicted killer, Jayscen Anthony Newby.

READ MORE: Prosecutors call for harsher sentence for Frankie Prineas’ killer.

On Thursday, the Court of Appeal backed the prosecution’s argument.

“He was an entirely innocent man who unwittingly became a victim of Newby’s anger and extreme violence directed to control [the woman],” the appeal court said.

The court resentenced Newby to 24 years in jail, with a non-parole period of 15 years, meaning he will not be eligible for release until 2035.

Source: ABC News.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Ecumenical Patriarch condemns Gaza crisis as ‘disgrace to humanity’

Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew has condemned the ongoing crisis in Gaza, describing it as "a true disgrace to the human race."

Greek Orthodox Community of NSW Board members meet with Panathinaikos BC President

The Greek Orthodox Community of NSW held a highly productive meeting with the President of Panathinaikos BC, Vassilis Parthenopoulos.

EU confirms ‘enhanced surveillance’ of Greece will end after 12 years

The European Commission confirmed on Wednesday that it is winding up its 'enhanced surveillance' of Greece after 12 years.