Big change coming to Australian passport applications

·

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) is reportedly set to introduce a significant update to the way Australians apply for new passports, according to news.com.au.

Currently, while passport renewals can be completed online, getting a new passport involves either submitting an online application followed by an in-person visit to an Australia Post branch, or filling out a paper form and lodging it at the post office.

However, Australians will reportedly soon be able to complete the entire application process for a new passport online—eliminating the need to visit a post office. The department says this move will streamline the process and make it faster and more convenient for applicants.

Angela Cramp, executive director of the Licensed Post Office Group, told 2GB the digital transition had been in development for several years and is expected to roll out within the next year.

Despite the shift toward digital services, Ms Cramp acknowledged that many people still prefer the reassurance of in-person support when submitting their documents.

“For some people, applying for a passport was a very stressful experience because they were worried about having the correct documents or not getting their application approved,” she said.

“Most people do want to come and make sure that their passport is lodged at a passport at a post office, and we check all the documents for them,” she told 2GB.

Source: news.com.au

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Tony Xanthopoulos’ lavish spending and mounting debts revealed amid company collapse

Tony Xanthopoulos, director of Xtraordinary Constructions, is under scrutiny after company’s collapse revealed a string of luxury purchases.

2nd Pan-Australian Clergy Synaxis opens in Sydney with focus on social media and faith

The 2nd Pan-Australian Clergy Synaxis opened in Sydney, with Archbishop Makarios addressing “Artificial Intelligence and the Church.”

Greek Australian educator speaks out at first Victorian teachers strike in 13 years

For the first time in 13 years, Victorian public school teachers, principals and education support staff marched for their rights.