St Basil’s receives assistance from Victorian authorities as cases rise to 69

·

All staff at St Basil’s Homes for the Aged in Fawkner have been ordered to vacate their positions and go into isolation, as 69 COVID-19 cases were linked to the centre in the worst aged care outbreak in Victoria.

A spokesperson for the Aged Care and Senior Australians minister, Senator Richard Colbeck, confirmed that the federal health department was assisting the centre’s management.

“The management of St Basil’s Home for the Aged remains in control of the facility with the support of the Commonwealth Health Department,” the spokesperson said.

St Basil’s Home for the Aged in Fawkner. Photo: Google News.

“Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission, local public health and DHHS representatives are all on site. A full assessment is currently being undertaken to determine the appropriate clinical response in the interests of all residents.”

Family members of residents responded to the outbreak last night, telling The Age they are distressed over the lack of communication from the home and accused them of being “extremely secretive.”

In an exclusive report this morning, Nine News also alleged there was a possible breach of infection control at the aged care home.

“Management gave us full protective equipment this week. Even as of Sunday, after they knew COVID was an issue, masks and gloves weren’t taken seriously. It was up to workers… it wasn’t enforced,” one staffer told the Health Care Workers union yesterday, according to Nine News.

Another worker stated: “Reporting that a resident was taken to hospital last week. Before that, he was coughing and sneezing all over the place. Infecting staff and others. He was not isolated.”

Meanwhile, the Federation of Ethnic Communities’ Councils of Australia (FECCA) also issued a statement last night, urging people to “ensure Government health directions are strictly followed in light of the outbreak.”

“These are alarming numbers for the Greek community and we must prepare and be vigilant to avoid similar outbreaks elsewhere,” Mary Patetsos from FECCA adds.

“Infection control protocols at the facility are being reviewed and strengthened by health authorities.”

Read the full statement here.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Mediterranean monk seals make remarkable return from brink of extinction

Once critically endangered, Mediterranean monk seal populations are making a strong recovery due to dedicated conservation efforts.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison declares floods a national emergency during visit to Lismore

Australian Prime Minister, Scott Morrison, has declared a national emergency in response to catastrophic floods in northern New South Wales.

Kingsgrove High School students kickstart their futures with new Future Links initiative

Students at Kingsgrove High School have taken part in the new Future Links initiative to observe their options and dreams post-school.