St Basil’s inquest: Operators ask to be excused from giving evidence

·

A coronial inquest into Australia’s deadliest aged care COVID-19 outbreak at St Basil’s nursing home in Fawkner has taken a turn.

The home’s operators have asked the coroner to excuse them from giving evidence on the grounds they might incriminate themselves. 

Kon Kontis and Vicki Kos were due to give evidence next week into the deaths of 50 residents at the home last year.

That is until a barrister for the pair asked on Tuesday that they be excused on the grounds they might incriminate themselves.

It is expected the application will be opposed by families who lost loved ones in the outbreak.

Coroner John Cain will hear submissions from the interested parties before making a ruling.

(Photo: Daniel Pockett/AAP)

The inquest has already heard evidence St Basil’s management wasn’t happy with a state government decision to replace the entire staff with an agency workforce early in the outbreak.

Replacement worker Heleni Bagiartakis told the inquest she was surprised when Ms Kos said she wouldn’t accept phone calls regarding the clinical care of residents after she was stood down.

“I don’t recall the exact words,” Ms Bagiartakis told the inquest.

“The message though was, ‘It wasn’t our decision, we don’t agree with the decision, therefore it’s not our problem’.”

John Atzarakis’ 77-year-old mother Fotini, who was only meant to stay at St Basil’s for a fortnight of respite care, died in the outbreak.

He says management owes the community an explanation.

“If people are allowed to be excused, we’re going to get half the story and we’re going to get a select story and that’s not what a coronial inquest is about,” he said.

John Atzarakis says families are still navigating trauma and grief as the coroner investigates last year’s deadly outbreak (Photo: ABC News/Joseph Dunstan)

Mr Atzarakis said his 83-year-old father was struggling with the loss of his life partner.

“He’s not coping with it, he takes all the blame,” he said.

Mr Atzarakis said it was “shameful” that the operators of the home were trying to avoid what he believed was their responsibility to give evidence.

“These people [the residents] were elderly, these people were weak, they were at the mercy of the staff and management,” he said.

“The staff and management were accountable for their lives, they need to take ownership.

“I lost my mother because of that. And they owe everyone an explanation.”

Spiro Vasilakis lost his elderly mother, Maria, in the COVID outbreak at St Basil’s (Photo: ABC News/James Hancock)

Spiro Vasilakis, whose 81-year-old mother Maria died during the outbreak, said he wanted to hear directly from those who ran St Basil’s.

“The families would be outraged, absolutely outraged, that they have not got the decency and the honesty to front up and face the questioning,” he said.

”Give us your story, from your mouth.”

The five-week coronial inquest will continue hearing from dozens of witnesses, including nurses and centre managers.

Source: ABC News

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Themistocles Kritikakos’ new book explores genocide memory in Australia

For Themistocles Kritikakos, the study of genocide began long before academia - in family stories, silences, and fragments of the past.

Melbourne to host 2026 Certificate of Attainment in Greek exams as registrations open

Registrations are now open for the 2026 Certificate of Attainment in Greek, with exams taking place this May at the GCM.

AHEPA NSW ORIONAS Hunters and Fishermen’s Club adopts constitutional changes 

On 18 January, the General Assembly of the AHEPA NSW ORIONAS Hunters and Fishermen’s Club was held, attended by approximately 50 members.

AHEPA Sydney & NSW’s high tea fundraiser to spotlight latest advances in cancer research

AHEPA Sydney & NSW Inc – Philanthropy will host a special High Tea Fundraiser next month, bringing together community members.

Alania’s ‘Night of Love’ launches 2026 in spectacular style

Sydney’s Greek community celebrated Valentine’s Day in memorable fashion at the Greek Community Club in Lakemba.

You May Also Like

Iran warns of retaliation as protest death toll rises

Iran has warned it will retaliate if attacked by the United States as activists report hundreds of protesters have been killed.

Cretan and Pontian dance groups unite at Sydney concert

For the first time ever, Cretan and Pontian dance groups performed together at a Sydney concert. Read more here.

Fifty years strong: Celebrating the enduring legacy of Modern Greek at Sydney University

The Department of Modern Greek at the University of Sydney marked its milestone 50th anniversary this year. Read more here.