QLD records four new COVID-19 cases, all linked to Greek Orthodox Community Centre cluster

·

Queensland has recorded four locally acquired cases of COVID-19, but all the cases are linked to the Greek Orthodox Community Centre cluster.

Three new cases were found in hotel quarantine, bringing the total number of active cases in the state to 47.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said the fact the new positive cases had been linked to known clusters was “really, really good news.”

READ MORE: Greek Orthodox Community of St George in Brisbane’s exposure sites.

Authorities are dealing with multiple clusters and the south-east and parts of north Queensland were sent into a lockdown last week.

The lockdown has since lifted, but restrictions remain and masks remain mandatory until July 16.

Chief Health Officer, Jeannette Young, said the case announced late on Sunday, a woman who is a close contact of a case at the Greek community centre, tested positive and so did her child.

Queensland Premier, Annastacia Palaszczuk.

She said contact tracers have also found where three cases, which authorities were having difficulty linking, had all attended – Zeus Street Greek Kitchen at Westfield Chermside.

“We’re just working out all of the specifics but we think that is probably the site of transmission,” she said.

The Premier added it was very important that people continue “doing the right thing,” including wearing masks, checking in to public places and getting tested even for the mildest symptoms.

Greek Orthodox priests in South Brisbane mandated to isolate at home:

In a Facebook post on July 3, Father Dimitri Tsakas from the St George Greek Orthodox Church in South Brisbane confirmed that he, along with Father Stavros and many of his co-workers, were mandated by Queensland Health to home isolate and quarantine.

“Fr Stavros and I will isolate for the mandatory period, meaning we should be back on board Wednesday 14 July. In the meantime we cannot leave home for any purpose, including Pastoral callouts or Services,” Father Dimitri wrote in the post.

“We accept the decision with gratitude in the interest of keeping everyone safe and healthy.”

The parish priest went on to say the administration building will be “deep cleaned in accordance with Health Department directives.”

The church will also be open to the public this Sunday, July 11 for services. Fr George Papoutsakis will conduct the service.

Source: ABC News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Victorian futsal referee Maria Patrikis recognised at Vic Sport Awards

Football Victoria has announced Maria Patrikis has been named the Sports Accounting Australia Official of the Year at the Vic Sport Awards.

Katina Apostoleris sues Sunbury childcare centre over alleged arm injury to daughter

Katina Apostoleris is suing Sunbury childcare centre Woodlands Education after alleging her daughter Isabella suffered a dislocated elbow.

Voco Darwin suites open as family honours builder John Halikos

A new 88-room Voco hotel development in Darwin has opened as a tribute to late Territory builder John Halikos.

$180 million Axion Estin redevelopment awaits ministerial approval in Victoria

A $180 million redevelopment of the Holy Monastery of Axion Estin, a Greek Orthodox church site in Northcote, is under consideration.

Peter V’landys alleges ‘retaliation’ in defamation case against racing website owner

Racing NSW chief executive Peter V’landys is accusing racehorse news owner Vicky Leonard of publishing an allegedly defamatory article.

You May Also Like

Greek President expresses support for diaspora in Ukraine amid tensions with Russia

Greece's President, Katerina Sakellaropoulou, has expressed her support for the Greek diaspora in Ukraine amid rising tensions with Russia.

Westpac hits a wall in extraditing Bill Papas from Greece

A judge has expressed concerns Bill Papas’ extradition from Greece may fall in the “too hard basket,” The Sydney Morning Herald has reported.

Tributes flow for pregnant Greek woman and husband killed in Queensland crash

Tributes flow for Rhiley Kuhrt, 22, and his pregnant wife Maree, 24, who lost their lives after a plane crash in Queensland.