NSW records 283 new local COVID-19 cases, Tamworth LGA placed into lockdown

·

NSW recorded 283 new locally acquired COVID-19 infections in the 24 hours to 8:00pm yesterday. At least 64 were infectious while in the community.

A woman in her 90s who was in palliative care has died after testing positive to COVID-19. Premier Gladys Berejiklian said the woman had not been vaccinated.

A record 133,000 tests were taken in the reporting period.

The NSW city of Tamworth will go into lockdown for one week after a COVID-positive woman from Newcastle travelled to the area.

Berejiklian says there are no other cases in the Tamworth area, but there are several exposure sites – which has prompted health advice for a one-week lockdown. It starts at 5pm today.

NSW Premier, Gladys Berejiklian.

The Premier has also called for increased testing in the Byron Bay area, after a man in his 50s tested positive to COVID there.

The Canterbury-Bankstown local government area (LGA) remains the epicentre of the outbreak with the Premier urging people in adjoining suburbs to remain alert. 

These latest case figures come as reports emerged on Sunday that Alevri cafe in Roselands was incorrectly placed on the NSW Health COVID-19 exposure list. The cafe was listed as being visited by a COVID-19 positive case between 7.20am and 7.45am on Thursday, July 29.

As the cafe does not open until 8am, NSW Health has apologised to the cafe for the mistake and it remains open for takeaway, adhering to safety protocols.

South Australia, Queensland and Victoria:

Queensland has recorded four new cases of COVID-19 in the community as the south-east enjoys its first day of freedom and Cairns enters a three-day lockdown.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said all the cases were detected in home quarantine and linked to the Indooroopilly cluster.

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk.

“It’s the sort of news we want to wake up to,” she said.

A fifth case was recorded in hotel quarantine.

Meanwhile in Victoria, regional residents will be released from the state’s lockdown from 11:59pm today.

Premier Daniel Andrews said the regions would snap back to the settings that were in place before the lockdown began last Thursday.

He said the decision had been made after no cases had been detected in the regions during the first four days of lockdown.

Australia’s first drive-through vaccination hub, which opened at Melton in Melbourne’s west this morning. Photo: ABC News: Tahlia Aualiitia.

Victoria has recorded 11 new locally acquired COVID-19 cases, but health authorities fear there are more cases in Melbourne’s north-west who have not yet come forward for testing. 

All of the new cases are linked to known outbreaks, but only one of them was in quarantine while infectious.

The state has also opened Australia’s first drive-through vaccination clinic at Melton in Melbourne’s west this morning. There has been a huge demand already.

In South Australia, the two Greek venues listed as exposure sites, during the state’s recent COVID-19 outbreak which saw the state placed into lockdown last month, have reopened.

Gaganis Bros reopened on Sunday, July 31 after a 14 day quarantine period, while The Greek on Halifax opened again on Friday, August 6.

READ MORE: Gaganis Bros and The Greek on Halifax listed as exposure sites in SA as COVID cases grow.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Archbishop Makarios of Australia sends message marking double celebration of March 25

His Eminence Archbishop Makarios of Australia has issued a message to the Greek Australian community to mark the March 25 double celebration.

FECCA’s Peter Doukas OAM condemns violence against Jewish community in Australia

Federation of Ethnic Communities’ Councils of Australia (FECCA) condemns in unequivocal terms violence against the Jewish community.

Over 500 Olympiakos fans barge into the Acropolis to celebrate title

Fans of Olympiakos forced their way into the grounds of the Acropolis on Wednesday during celebrations for winning this year’s championship.