Morrison Government commits $452 million to aged care sector after Royal Commission findings

·

The Federal Government has committed almost half a billion dollars in an immediate response to the almost 150 recommendations in the final report of the Aged Care Royal Commission.

Prime Minister, Scott Morrison, said the government was providing an additional $452.2 million in funding to address immediate issues in the aged care sector.

“It’s the inquiry we needed to have,” Mr Morrison said.

“Australians must be able to trust that their loved ones will be cared for appropriately and the community should have confidence in the system. This remains our clear goal.”

The Prime Minister, along with Health and Aged Care Minister Greg Hunt and Minister for Senior Australians and Aged Care Services Richard Colbeck, released the more than 2000-page report after it was handed to the federal government on Friday, February 26.

Health Minister Greg Hunt said the government was committed to reforming aged care.

“The royal commission’s report is a significant document, the culmination of a two-year inquiry, and demands a carefully considered response,” he said.

In its two years, the royal commission heard from 641 witnesses, including residents, staff, families and experts, held almost 100 days of hearings, accepted more than 10,500 public submissions and produced 38 reports and research papers, including a special report on COVID-19.

In its interim report, the royal commission found the aged care system had failed older Australians.

“It does not deliver uniformly safe and quality care for older people. It is unkind and uncaring towards them. In too many instances, it simply neglects them,” it said.

The Morrison government has previously committed to responding to the final report by the May budget.

Source: Sydney Morning Herald.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Greek court drops migrant shipwreck case against nine Egyptians

A Greek court has dismissed charges against nine Egyptian men suspected of creating one of the Mediterranean's deadliest shipwrecks. The deadly boat tragedy saw over 600...

Eight Australians hospitalised after deadly Singapore Airlines flight

Eight Australians are in hospital after severe turbulence on a Singapore Airlines flight left one person dead and more than 70 injured.

Kytherians in Australia celebrate legacy and philanthropy at annual Debutante Ball

The Kytherian Association of Australia hosted their Annual Debutante Ball on Saturday, May 18, at the Royal Randwick Racecourse in Sydney.

Sydney’s Pontian community gather to remember lives lost during Greek Genocide

On Sunday, 19 May 2024, Pontoxeniteas NSW held a poignant commemoration of the Greek Genocide. Read more here.

Panarcadian Mother’s Day focuses on health, Hippocrates and heritage

On Sunday, May 19th, the Panarcadian Association of Melbourne and Victoria, "O Kolokotronis," held their successful annual Mother's Day event

You May Also Like

Archaeological Museum of Pella receives prestigious award

The Archaeological Museum of Pella was recently awarded the coveted 2020 Traveler’s Choice Award by Tripadvisor.

Mitsotakis meets with Trudeau in Canada to sign firefighting aircraft agreement

Kyriakos Mitsotakis, met with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to finalise an agreement for seven firefighting aircrafts.

Greece returns 11 failed asylum seekers to Turkey as more migrants flood into Europe

Greece returned eleven migrants to Turkey who did not qualify for international protection, Migration Minister Notis Mitarakis announced on social media on Friday evening.