Morrison Government commits $452 million to aged care sector after Royal Commission findings

·

The Federal Government has committed almost half a billion dollars in an immediate response to the almost 150 recommendations in the final report of the Aged Care Royal Commission.

Prime Minister, Scott Morrison, said the government was providing an additional $452.2 million in funding to address immediate issues in the aged care sector.

“It’s the inquiry we needed to have,” Mr Morrison said.

“Australians must be able to trust that their loved ones will be cared for appropriately and the community should have confidence in the system. This remains our clear goal.”

The Prime Minister, along with Health and Aged Care Minister Greg Hunt and Minister for Senior Australians and Aged Care Services Richard Colbeck, released the more than 2000-page report after it was handed to the federal government on Friday, February 26.

Health Minister Greg Hunt said the government was committed to reforming aged care.

“The royal commission’s report is a significant document, the culmination of a two-year inquiry, and demands a carefully considered response,” he said.

In its two years, the royal commission heard from 641 witnesses, including residents, staff, families and experts, held almost 100 days of hearings, accepted more than 10,500 public submissions and produced 38 reports and research papers, including a special report on COVID-19.

In its interim report, the royal commission found the aged care system had failed older Australians.

“It does not deliver uniformly safe and quality care for older people. It is unkind and uncaring towards them. In too many instances, it simply neglects them,” it said.

The Morrison government has previously committed to responding to the final report by the May budget.

Source: Sydney Morning Herald.

Cretan Convention - Web Banner

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Mario Alexandridis at centre of Strike Force Candice raids across Sydney

Low-profile entrepreneur Marios Alexandridis has been charged in a major money laundering and unexplained wealth investigation.

Prime Ministers of Greece and Australia hold first ever meeting

Australian Prime Minister, Anthony Albanese, met with his Greek counterpart, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, for the first time at the NATO Summit

Photographer David Wadelton: ‘Greek and Italian-style décor reflects pride of homeland’

Growing up in Melbourne's inner north, working class suburbs during the 1970s and 80s, I took the many interesting houses there for granted.