Joanne Shanahan’s husband forgives young driver responsible for her death

·

The husband of decorated police officer, Joanne Shanahan (nee Panayiotou), has opened up about how he has been able to forgive the young driver who took her life.

Joanne, 55, and mother Tania McNeill, 53, were killed instantly in April 2021 when Harrison Kitt drove through the intersection of Cross Road and Fullarton Road at Urrbrae, south of Adelaide at 167km/h and struck their cars.

Kitt, 21, was found not guilty by reason of mental incompetence. He was sentence to a 10-year limiting term, monitored by both mental health experts and the Parole Board, while living with his parents.

READ MORE: Harrison Kitt to spend 10 years under supervision for crash that killed Joanne Shanahan.

(L) Harrison Kitt. (R) Joanne Shanahan.

After the verdict had been handed down last year, Kitt’s mother Kathy said not a day had passed since the “terrible crash” that her family had not thought about the impact on the victims’ families.

“Their losses are unimaginable; we hope they can find it in their hearts to forgive Harry for what happened even though it might be difficult for them to accept,” Kathy said at the time.

READ MORE: ‘Slap in the face’: Family share grief over Joanna Shanahan’s death.

In a recent interview with 7 News on Sunday night, Joanne’s husband, Peter Shanahan, said he does forgive the young driver for his actions.

“To forgive someone allows yourself to be as good as you can be and to move on and to make the best of your life, which is exactly what Joanne would have wanted,” Peter, who was also in the car crash but survived with minor injuries, said.

“Jo is still alive in my heart and she will be forever and with my kids. So that’s how I’m going to live my life now.”

READ MORE: Adelaide’s Greek community mourns death of Greek-Australian police officer.

Source: 7 News.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Greek Community of Melbourne calls for immediate intervention in La Trobe University’s threat to Greek Studies

The GCM says after hearing news of the cancelation, they immediately wrote to the Vice Chancellor expressing their concerns and seeking an immediate meeting.

Innovators collaborate to merge old and new at Cretan olive mill

Two flourishing Cretan olive oil companies have shown how modern production works by opening up Crete’s first restaurant in an olive mill.

New inclusive service helps the blind tour the Acropolis

Touring the Acropolis has just become more accessible with the introduction of conducting tours for the blind.