George Calombaris’ restaurants suffered $20 million in financial loss

·

The restaurant empire of chef George Calombaris suffered from serious financial trouble for more than three years, being dealt $20.7 million in losses before it went into voluntary management last month.

According to a report by KordaMentha which was released Tuesday, Calombaris’ company and its affiliate, Made Establishment, suffered huge financial problems.

The report shows that since fiscal year 2017, Hellenic Republic restaurants and Jimmy Grants souvlaki chain have had the largest liabilities in management.

“The group has not been profitable for the last three years or for the period until January 2020,” the report said. “Total pre-tax losses during this period total $20.7 million.”

The report shows that the company was bleeding financially, with companies related to its major shareholder Radek Sali investing $11.5 million to avoid bankruptcy, as the company was also facing a staffing scandal.

The Fair Work Ombudsman revealed in 2019 that $7.8 million was repaid to current and former employees.

As Calombaris’ empire went into administration at the beginning of this year, George posted on Instagram to display his sadness.

“My dream for MADE Establishment 13 years ago was a vision to create something truly special for all those who entered our restaurants,” Calombaris posted on his personal Instagram account.

Read More: Calombaris’ empire crumbles as he places 22 businesses in voluntary administration

“To all my team, I truly regret it has come to this. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your loyalty and friendship … I’m gutted it’s come to this.”

Fair Work Ombudsman Sandra Parker said media coverage and vilification of Calombaris meant there was a high deterrence factor stemming from negative publicity.

KordaMentha blamed “difficult trading conditions in the hospitality industry” and services such as UberEats for changing costumer tastes to cheaper dining options, leading to the business not being able to turn around despite strong reviews.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

In the footsteps of Digenis Akritas: Melbourne exhibition celebrates Hellenic unity

A new Melbourne exhibition fosters a deeper understanding of the shared history and culture of Greeks from Cyprus.

Periklis Moustakas takes over as coach of Apollon FC Youth team

Apollon Football (Public) Ltd has announced the beginning of its collaboration with Greek-Cypriot Australian, Periklis Moustakas as Coach of the club's U19 Youth team. According...

Economist Sophie Photios estimates 50 percent chance of recession for 2024

Macquarie economist Sophie Photios estimates there is a 50 percent chance of recession this year as the “trap” of high migration unwinds.

Apostolos Stamatelopoulos to play in A-League All Stars squad against Newcastle United

Newcastle Jets forward, Apostolos Stamatelopoulos has been confirmed to play in the A-League All Stars Men's squad ahead of the blockbuster clash against Premier...

Jon Adgemis’ El Primo Sanchez bar taken over by lenders

Public Hospitality Group’s Jon Adgemis has had his El Primo Sanchez bar taken over by lender, Australia Pacific Mortgage Fund.

You May Also Like

Greek Australian winemakers join campaign promoting local drops in South Australia

Amongst those spotlighted in the campaign to promote local drops are brothers Jim and Arthur Markeas and grape grower John Koutouzis.

Albanian court denies Fredi Beleri’s appeal for release from prison

The Special Court of Appeal in Tirana, Albania, once again denied Fredi Beleri's request for release from custody.

The Greek Herald’s Digital Editor among Quill Awards finalists for multicultural media

The Greek Herald's Digital Editor, Andriana Simos, has been named a finalist in the 28th Quill Awards for Excellence in Victorian Journalism.