Family of SA crash victim ‘will never forgive’ killer driver John Tsalapatis

·

Heartbroken family members of a “selfless and gifted” schoolteacher who died just days after a crash south of Adelaide shared their profound grief with a court, stating that they lost the “glue” in their family.

John Tsalapatis 59, of Keswick, drove through a McLaren Vale intersection without stopping, striking and killing 61-year-old Bernice Sternberg who was a passenger in a car at the time, being driven by her husband.

According to ABC, Tsalapatis was found guilty last month for causing death by dangerous driving. On Tuesday, prosecutor Jim Pearce KC read a victim impact statement to the District Court on behalf of Sternberg’s husband Rony, who described how his life had changed since her death.

“I look at Bernice’s picture … and I say, ‘I miss you so much, honey, I wish you were here’, and I get emotional and I cry…It could have been prevented if he [Tsalapatis] only stopped at this intersection.” Rony said.

Shrine to Bernice Sternberg at McLaren Vale Primary school. Photo Adelaide Now.
Shrine to Bernice Sternberg at McLaren Vale Primary school. Photo: Adelaide Now.
John Tsalapatis leaving Adelaide Magistrates Court with his lawyer. Photo NCA NewsWire David Mariuz. Photo Adelaide Now.
John Tsalapatis leaving Adelaide Magistrates Court with his lawyer. Photo NCA NewsWire/David Mariuz. Photo: Adelaide Now.

“I will never forgive him for what he has done to me and my whole family, causing the death of my darling Bernice”.

The court heard Sternberg’s brother, David Field was in the intensive care unit (ICU) at FMC when his sister arrived and was recovering from injuries sustained in an unrelated crash two weeks earlier.

“Her life touched many people and the world was truly a better place for having her in it,” Field said.

Tsalapatis’ lawyer, Jane Abbey KC told the court her client felt “a deep and genuine remorse” over the death of Sternberg yet also stated his actions were “not criminal in nature”.

Abbey urged Judge, Nick Alexandrides to impose a suspended sentence, or, a home detention sentence.

Tsalapatis will be sentenced next month.

Source: ABC

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

Andy Ferrara named among Adelaide’s young chefs shaping the future of dining

Adelaide’s emerging culinary stars are making waves across South Australia’s best restaurants. Among those recognised is Andy Ferrara.

Greece ranks second worldwide for Blue Flag beaches

Greece has once again secured its place among the world’s top beach destinations, ranking second globally with 624 Blue Flag beaches.

You May Also Like

Dennis Bastas proposes $38.5m overhaul of Melbourne’s most expensive home

Pharmaceutical billionaire Dennis Bastas has lodged plans for a $38.5 million renovation of Coonac, Melbourne’s most expensive house.

Greece’s President honours Patriarch Bartholomew at Presidential Palace

Konstantinos Tasoulas welcomed His All-Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew and his delegation to the Presidential Palace.

One of the last Greek survivors of Auschwitz dies aged 98

Vaso Stamatiou, one of the few remaining Greek survivors of Auschwitz, has sadly passed away at the age of 98.