Coronial inquest hears residents at St Basil’s Fawkner were ‘emaciated’

·

A coronial inquest into a COVID-19 outbreak at St Basil’s Home for the Aged in Fawkner, Melbourne has today heard that some residents were left ’emaciated’ from neglect.

According to news.com.au, clinical care responder, Jacinta MacCormack, told the inquest residents were in desperate need of care from the moment she arrived at the aged care facility on July 22.

“They were unwell, they just didn’t have enough food in them… There was a couple that actually looked quite emaciated, their hips were sticking out,” Ms MacCormack said.

READ MORE: St Basil’s inquest: Brett Sutton endorsed decision to furlough staff.

When questioned about the handover process, Ms MacCormack said the transition was “not comfortable at all” and management at the aged care home were “quite hostile” and “not forthcoming” with information.

A coronial inquest into St Basil’s Home for the Aged in Fawkner has heard that some residents were left ’emaciated’ from neglect.

This news comes as Milena Avramovic, the former deputy director of nursing at St Basil’s Fawkner, also told the Victorian coroner on Monday the transition period was ‘like a warzone’ and ‘chaos.’

READ MORE: St Basil’s inquest: Woman says dad became ‘skeleton’ while mother was ‘dosed on antipsychotics’.

“I just did what I thought was right at the time,” Ms Avramovic told the court.

“It was chaos, it was so much to do, it was a pandemic… We all worked so hard under huge pressure.”

READ MORE: No food or medicine after takeover: Inquest continues into St Basils Fawkner.

Ms Avramovic, who worked at St Basil’s Fawkner between 2015 and August last year, said she did not believe she could ever work in aged care again.

St Basil’s Home for the Aged recorded its first positive COVID-19 case on July 9 last year. Photo: Jason Edwards

“What happened at St Basil’s – it destroyed me. It destroyed me psychologically, emotionally, socially and ­financially,” she said.

READ MORE: St Basil’s inquiry: Aspen Medical replacement staff ‘literally graduates’.

Five residents at the centre died of neglect while 45 died of COVID-19 in July and August last year, in one of the country’s deadliest outbreaks at an aged-care home.

The five-week coronial inquest into the deaths of residents at St Basil‘s Fawkner will hear from about 65 witnesses, including nurses, centre managers and family members of the loved ones who died.

Source: news.com.au and The Australian.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Athenian Association of NSW hosts ‘Rebetiko of Athens’ evening

Athenian Association of NSW hosted a special cultural evening in Lakemba celebrating the history and legacy of Greek rebetiko music.

Australian Hellenic Choir to present tribute concert honouring Giorgos Zambetas

Australian Hellenic Choir will present a tribute concert celebrating the music and legacy of Greek artist Giorgos Zambetas in Sydney.

Chris Christofi honoured in Cyprus for philanthropy

Chris Christofi has received a philanthropy honour in Cyprus, for his charitable work and community impact at the CYDIA Awards 2026.

St Spyridon College marks 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete

St Spyridon College commemorated the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete with a wreath-laying ceremony.

Arthur Diles departs Melbourne Victory after Grand Final season

Melbourne Victory has confirmed the departure of head coach Arthur Diles following the conclusion of his contract.

You May Also Like

TGH Exclusive: Social distancing is a major weapon, immunologist Dr John Dwyer claims

In an exclusive interview with the Greek Herald, Dr Dwyer gives his advice on the best way governments can handle this outbreak.

Dendias: Greece and North Macedonia strengthening mutual confidence

Greek Foreign Minister Nikos Dendias has said the relations between Greece and North Macedonia have "strengthened" after the Prespa Agreement.

Greek American John Martinis among scientists awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics

Greek American physicist John Martinis has been awarded the 2025 Nobel Prize in Physics, alongside John Clarke and Michel Devoret.