Community TV stations Channel 31 and Channel 44 given three-year lifeline

·

A three-year reprieve has been granted to Australia’s only remaining community television (CTV) stations in a surprise vote that will allow them to stay on air and lock in key partnerships until 2024.

Channel 44 (Adelaide) and Channel 31 (Melbourne) had previously been told they had to stop broadcasting after June 30 and switch to an online-only model, but a vote in the House of Representatives on Wednesday saw the federal government give them until 2024.

It was preceded by a majority vote in the Senate on Tuesday night.

“The C31 board would like to acknowledge the efforts of our wonderful staff, producers and program makers over the last few months,” C31 Melbourne Chair, Mike Zafiropoulos AM, said in a media release.

“We have also been overwhelmed by the showing of public support and are heartened by the collective resolve to fight for a positive outcome for Community Television in Victoria. Thank you.”

The stations have endured annual uncertainty since 2014, when former Communications Minister, Malcolm Turnbull, ordered community stations across the country to shift to an online-only model to free up their spectrum for testing new technologies.

But Channel 31 General Manager, Shane Dunlop, said it was a common sense decision to allow the stations to keep broadcasting and to lock it in for three years.

“We’ve had a decade of getting used to whatever last minute reprieves we get,” he said.

“They’ve just been kicking the can down the road a little further, but this length of time really gives us a chance to make the most of whatever the future will hold for community TV, so we can appropriately plan and roll with punches a lot better.”

Source: ABC News.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Daughter of footy legend, Anthony Koutoufides, to model at Melbourne Fashion Festival

Monique Koutoufides, the 16-year-old daughter of a Carlton footy legend, will grace the runway at next month's Melbourne Fashion Festival.

Perth’s Lord Mayor Disaster Relief Fund activated to support bushfire victims

Over $2.5 million has already been raised after the Lord Mayor’s Distress Relief Fund was activated on Wednesday.

Traditional Greek Recipes: Portokalopita

Portokalopita is a delicious, differently styled cake that is a must-try for anyone who isn’t afraid of fruit dessert!