AUKUS: France slams Australia over move to ditch $90b submarine deal

·

The French government has hit out at Australia’s decision to ditch its submarine contract in favour of nuclear-powered submarines. 

France’s foreign minister Jean-Yves Le Drian has responded furiously to the cancellation of the contract. 

“It’s a stab in the back. We had established a trusting relationship with Australia, and this trust was betrayed,” he told French radio network France Info

He added he was “angry and very bitter about this breakup,” adding that he had spoken to his Australian counterpart Marise Payne days ago and received no serious indication of the move. 

French foreign minister Jean-Yves Le Drian has slammed the move (Photo: AFP/Stephanie De Sakutin)

In 2016, the Turnbull government announced French company Naval Group (then known as DCNS) had been selected for Australia’s largest-ever defense contract at a cost of $90 billion. 

Naval Group were to construct up to 12 new conventional submarines in Adelaide in a bid to replace the existing Collins-class subs which make up the Australian navy’s defence fleet.  

“The Australians need to tell us how they’re getting out of it. We’re going to need explanation,” Le Drian says.

“We have an intergovernmental deal that we signed with great fanfare in 2019, with precise commitments, with clauses, how are they getting out of it?

“This is not over.” 

Australia announced plans to join the US and the UK for a historic, trilateral national security pact dubbed the ‘AUKUS’ on Wednesday. 

The US and the UK are partners in the Australian navy’s new nuclear-powered submarine fleet project, providing the technology required for Australia to operate its own nuclear submarines in the Indo-Pacific region. 

Prime Minister Scott Morrison says the pact will make the region safer. 

Source: Politico

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Olympiacos President to face trial over death of policeman in fan violence incident

Vangelis Marinakis, the president of Olympiacos FC, has been ordered to stand trial in Greece, accused of inciting sports-related violence.

IHO NYX brings Greek Rock to centre stage in Sydney this weekend

As Sunday, April 6 approaches, all eyes are on IHO NYX, the band ready to electrify Sydney with a concert dedicated entirely to Greek Rock.

Party for a purpose: Support the Pontian House at the Winter Wonderland Gala 2025

The Pontian Association of NSW Pontoxeniteas will host its highly anticipated Winter Wonderland Gala 2025 on Saturday, May 31, at 6.30 PM.

‘Comedy Cartel’: A night of laughter at the Hellenic Club of Canberra

Get ready for a night of laughter and cultural celebration as Comedy Cartel makes its debut at the Hellenic Club of Canberra this June.

Cypriot courage remembered: Join the ANZAC Day March, keep their legacy alive 

On Anzac Day we commemorate the bravery and good deeds of Australian, New Zealand and Allied forces over many conflicts.

You May Also Like

Dionysus Theatre Company’s ‘The Elixir’ premieres in Sydney

Dionysus Theatre Company held the premiere of 'The Elixir' play on Saturday, March 16 at the Mytilenian House in Canterbury.

‘Greek Week’: The Amazing Race Australia goes to Greece this Sunday

This Sunday, grab your popcorn and your paximadi, because the Amazing Race Australia is heading to our motherland, Greece!

3,500-year-old royal tombs found in Pylos

American archeologists have discovered two monumental royal tombs dating from about 3,500 years ago, near a major Mycenaean-era palace in Greece's southern Peloponnese region,...