Anthony Albanese confirms date of Voice referendum

·

Australian Prime Minister, Anthony Albanese has confirmed the Voice referendum will be held on October 14 this year, The Australian has reported.

A crowd of around 400 people gathered in Adelaide to hear Mr Albanese announce the date for the referendum on an Indigenous voice to parliament.

The Prime Minister said in his speech, “On that day every Australian will have a once-in-a-generation chance to bring our country together and to change it for the better.”

“To vote for recognition, listening and better results. And I ask all Australians to vote Yes,” he says.

Mr Albanese notes referendums come around much less than elections and this will be the first one this century. 

“They’re very different (to elections), because on October 14 you are not being asked to vote for a political party or for a person. You’re being asked to vote for an idea. To say Yes to an idea whose time has come,” he says.

Read more: Yes or No: Indigenous Voice to Parliament referendum pamphlets released

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Body image in Greek Australian culture

The report highlighted that an estimated 4.1 million Australians aged 15 and over have experienced body dissatisfaction.

SoulChef Sundays: A taste of tradition with Katiki Cheese Pie

This week, SoulChef presents a lighter, contemporary take on a classic — without sacrificing authenticity or flavour.

Greek as always: Different languages, same ancient soul

We Greeks have always been adventurous people. The Minoans sailed the Mediterranean and traded exotic goods.

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

You May Also Like

Sydney’s longest running delicatessen, Olympic Deli, closes its doors after 65 years

Sydney's longest running delicatessen, Olympic Continental Deli, has closed its doors after 65 years in Bankstown Plaza.

Oakleigh Grammar farewells the Class of 2025 with Graduation Dinner

Oakleigh Grammar’s Class of 2025 gathered for a night of celebration, reflection, and recognition at their Year 12 Graduation Dinner.

Accused Easey St killer Perry Kouroumblis previously gave police an alibi, court hears

Accused Easey Street killer Perry Kouroumblis has told police he was with a friend on the night two women were brutally stabbed in 1977.