Ambassador of China to Greece works with Health Minister cease coronavirus spread to Greece

·

Greek Health Minister Vassilis Kikilias recently held an emergency meeting with the Ambassador of China to Greece, Zhang Qiyue, and with infectious disease specialists to discuss additional measures in view of the coronavirus outbreak.

Earlier today, Hong Kong announced that it had banned outbound travel from China in efforts to address the epidemic which has gone from nine fatalities last week to 106 people dead and at least 4,547 infected on Tuesday.

China’s ambassador to Athens confirmed that the government had banned all organised trips in and out of China in efforts to prevent the spread of the virus.

In Greece meanwhile, Kikilias announced on Tuesday, the hospitals across the country that will be handling possible cases of the 2019-nCoV, which Chinese disease experts said is contagious from a two-meter distance.

According to the health ministry, hospitals in Greece equipped to deal with coronavirus incidents are:

  • Attica: Sotiria, Evangelismos, Attiko University Hospital, Thriassio,
  • Northern Greece: Thessaloniki AHEPA University Hospital, Alexandroupolis University Hospital, Bodosakio General Hospital,
  • Central Greece: Larissa University Hospital, Lamia General Hospital,
  • Western Greece: the university hospitals of Patra and Ioannina,
  • Crete: Heraklion University Hospital.

On Monday, Greek Tourism Minister Harry Theoharis said he was in regular contact with Kikilias and National Public Health Organization (EODY) officials on the issue, noting that an estimated 200,000 visitors from China traveled to Greece in 2019, up from some 180,000 the year before.

“The first priority and for tourism purposes is to ensure that there are no problems in the country itself. We are monitoring the issue,” said Theoharis during a tourism ministry 2020 strategy presentation on Monday.

Meanwhile, country officials worldwide are taking precautionary measures with the World Health Organization (WHO) confirming more than 50 cases outside China, in France, Thailand, Japan, the US, Australia, Singapore, Taiwan, Malaysia, South Korea, Vietnam, Nepal, Canada, Cambodia, Sri Lanka, and Germany.

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention and the US State Department on Monday expanded their travel advisories. Japan and South Korea decided earlier today to send charter flights to the Chinese city of Wuhan to evacuate their citizens, while more than half a million South Koreans signed a petition calling for a total ban on travel from China into the country.

Sourced via GTP.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Themistocles Kritikakos’ new book explores genocide memory in Australia

For Themistocles Kritikakos, the study of genocide began long before academia - in family stories, silences, and fragments of the past.

Melbourne to host 2026 Certificate of Attainment in Greek exams as registrations open

Registrations are now open for the 2026 Certificate of Attainment in Greek, with exams taking place this May at the GCM.

AHEPA NSW ORIONAS Hunters and Fishermen’s Club adopts constitutional changes 

On 18 January, the General Assembly of the AHEPA NSW ORIONAS Hunters and Fishermen’s Club was held, attended by approximately 50 members.

AHEPA Sydney & NSW’s high tea fundraiser to spotlight latest advances in cancer research

AHEPA Sydney & NSW Inc – Philanthropy will host a special High Tea Fundraiser next month, bringing together community members.

Alania’s ‘Night of Love’ launches 2026 in spectacular style

Sydney’s Greek community celebrated Valentine’s Day in memorable fashion at the Greek Community Club in Lakemba.

You May Also Like

Smyrna Catastrophe centenary to be commemorated at Australia’s Parliament House

The Joint Justice Initiative will host an evening event to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Smyrna Catastrophe.

Russian airstrikes bring war close to NATO’s border as Greece calls for more humanitarian corridors

Russian missiles hit a large Ukrainian base near the border with NATO member Poland on Sunday, killing 35 people and wounding 134.

Tsitsipas recruits Djokovic’s former coach in bid to revive career

Stefanos Tsitsipas has officially confirmed that Goran Ivanisevic will be his new coach, just as the 2025 grass-court season gets underway.