‘A lifeline’: Irene Pnevmatikos MP calls for more dialysis services in SA after kidney cancer battle

·

The Honourable Irene Pnevmatikos MLC called for more accessible dialysis services in South Australia during a speech to Parliament on Wednesday.

Ms Pnevmatikos was diagnosed with kidney cancer earlier this year and has since been treating her kidney dysfunction with dialysis three times a week.

In her speech, the Greek Australian politician stressed that prior to starting her treatment she was unaware of the prevalence of dialysis treatment for thousands of people around Australia.

“I am one of approximately 1,000 people who undertake long term dialysis either at home or more predominantly, in a facility to manage kidney function in this state,” Ms Pnevmatikos told SA Parliament.

“The number of people with kidney dysfunction and failure who receive dialysis have been doubling between 2000 and 2020. From 6,400 to 14,600 and this number continues to rise.

“We don’t have enough chairs and beds for dialysis even though dialysis was the leading cause of same-day hospitalisation in Australia in 2019 and 2020.”

Ms Pnevmatikos is calling for more dialysis services in SA.

Ms Pnevmatikos said that dialysis is “a lifeline” for many of these people with kidney dysfunction and failure as it allows them to return to work and “to a semblance of normal life.”

She said “prevention” should be the ultimate goal “to ensure the number of people receiving dialysis lessens over time,” but also called on the SA government to increase dialysis services in the state.

“Whilst I recognise that more dialysis facilities are only a temporary solution, even with the best prevention care unfortunately many people will require dialysis,” Ms Pnevmatikos said.

“It is a matter of capacity and choice. We have an immediate need to increase dialysis capacity to ensure patients who require dialysis can do so.”

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

First artefacts recovered from Titanic’s sister ship off Greek island

Deep-sea divers have recovered the first set of artifacts from the wreck of the Titanic’s sister ship, the HMHS Britannic.

Greek Australian property owner in dispute with neighbour over miscalculated Vaucluse harbour view

A block of land that mysteriously grew 200 square metres overnight has turned an exclusive waterfront pocket of Vaucluse into a battleground

‘I feel strange about my career’: Nick Kyrgios drops cryptic retirement hint

Tennis star, Nick Kyrgios, has given the biggest clue yet that he is considering giving away the sport for good.