The Voice Australia: Mateja Sardelis’ girl band into semi-finals, Halimah Kyrgios bows out

·

The ‘Knockouts’ round on The Voice Australia came to an end on Monday night and singing superstar, Rita Ora, took only two of her five team members through to the semi-finals of the singing competition.

Among those two into the semi-finals were Mateja Sardelis and her girl band, G-Nat!on, as well as 16-year-old Sian Fuller.

Sardelis, 16, Isla Ward, 17, Taylah Silvestri, 18, Emma Caporaso, 18, Alessia Musolino, 17 and Rylee Vormelker, 17, had the audience on their feet after their showstopping rendition of ‘Bye Bye Bye’ by boyband, NSYNC.

“In Australia, we haven’t had a girl group in such a long time. To come out with girl power is extreme so what a performance, I must say. Well done,” fellow judge, Jessica Mauboy, said after the girl band’s singing.

Rita agreed and sent them straight through to the semi-final instead of making them wait for the other singers on her team to perform before making her final decision.

‘I have so much respect for you’:

Halimah Kyrgios, the sister of tennis sensation Nick Kyrgios, was one of two sent home by Rita despite a powerful rendition of This is Me from The Greatest Showman.

“I have so much respect for you, so much admiration for you in so many different ways,” Rita said after Halimah’s performance.

“Your voice is so strong and so persistent. I’m thinking in my mind, ‘What can I give you, now that you’ve had this amazing moment? How can I coach you to potentially winning this show?’

“Because I know as a musical director watching at home, I will give you a lead role in a heartbeat. But that’s honestly where I see your future and I feel like your career’s just taking off. And with that in mind, I’m going to have to let you go.”

Halimah thanked Rita for her coaching and said she learnt so much from The Voice about who she wanted to be as an artist.

“There’s always the MT [musical theatre] girl, right? But who am I? so that’s something I’m still striving to,” she concluded.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greek Prime Minister praises enduring Greece-ANZAC bond in Battle of Crete message

Greece's Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis has issued a statement marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

South Melbourne FC to clash with Vanuatu United in OFC Pro League semi-final

The OFC Pro League has reached its semi-final stage, with South Melbourne FC, Vanuatu United FC, Auckland FC and South Island United.

Archbishop Makarios: Battle of Crete legacy must inspire future generations

Archbishop Makarios of Australia has issued a message commemorating the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Evzones in Pontic uniform mark poignant moment at Athens genocide commemoration

A solemn ceremony in central Athens has marked the 107th anniversary of the Genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

Coolamon Hotel revival earns top NSW heritage honour for architect Gioia Gianniotis

The revival of the Coolamon Hotel has been recognised with the President’s Prize at the 2026 National Trust (NSW) Heritage Awards.

You May Also Like

Shark app downloads surge after fatal attack on surfer Mercury Psillakis

Downloads of the NSW SharkSmart app have surged following the fatal shark attack on surfer Mercury Psillakis at Dee Why Beach last month.

A mother’s take on Greek and Aussie drivers

In 2023, Greece recorded 637 road deaths or 61 deaths per million residents... Preliminary 2024 data show little change in fatality rates.

United Nations report exposes Greece as Europe’s biggest food wasters

Greece's throws out 174 kilograms of food per year per capita, which is over twice the global average of food wastage.