A comforting and delicious Zucchini Stew made with, ground beef, fresh herbs, and a velvety egg & lemon sauce. A hearty and healthy family dinner.
Zucchini Filling Ingredients:
500g beef mince
1 large onion, grated
4 spring onions, chopped finely
1 carrot, grated
zucchini flesh of 6 zucchinis, chopped very finely
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Generous amount of fresh parsley, mint and dill, chopped
1/2 cup rice
3 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
12 white zucchinis, hulled
1 chicken stock cube
2 tsp salt
Pepper to taste
Small lug of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup Arborio rice, rinsed well
2 eggs, room temperature
Juice of 2 lemons
1 cup boiling water
2 tsp cornflour
- First hull your zucchinis using a vegetable hull utensil. Set zucchini shells aside.
- To a large bowl, add your Filling Ingredients above. Mix well for 2 minutes using your hands.
- Stuff the zucchini cases using your fingers. Arrange them in a large stock pot. If you have left over filling, simply roll into balls and place on top of your zucchini cases. Gently pour a kettle of boiling water over your zucchini cases, stopping once it reaches the upper level of your zucchinis. Add all your Soup Ingredients except for the rice and stir once very gently. Simmer over medium heat for half hour with lid on.
- Remove lid. Add Half cup rice. Boil a further 20 minutes or until rice is cooked through but not mushy. Turn heat off.
- Make avgolemono. Boil a kettle with water. First whisk your egg whites well until frothy. Now add egg yolks and whisk well. Now add lemon juice and whisk well. Now ever so slowly, add 1 cup boiling water, whisking all the while. Be careful not to curdle the eggs, take your time. Then add your cornflour and 1 cup of the soup juice. Whisk well.
- Now pour the avgolemono into the soup. Stir once, gently and turn on heat to low. Simmer for just a few minutes before serving.