Two jurors dropped in George Alex’s $13 million tax fraud trial

·

Two jurors have been dropped from a multimillion-dollar tax fraud trial involving Sydney construction boss George Alex and five others accused of pocketing more than $13 million in unpaid taxes.

According to The Australian, Juror G was dismissed after police searched his Sydney home mid-trial for a different alleged crime and officers discovered he had been conducting prohibited internet searches related to the fraud trial.

Following interviews of the remaining jurors by police, another juror – known as Juror A – was found to have been compromised after being in contact with Juror G.

NSW Supreme Court judge Desmond Fagan told the court on Thursday that while there was “no finding of misconduct of Juror A… the communications of those two were somewhat close and repeated.” As a result, the judge discharged him from his role on the jury.

George Alex (left) and his son Arthur Alex outside the NSW Supreme Court at Darlinghurst during their trial.CREDITWOLTER PEETERS
George Alex (left) and his son Arthur Alex outside the NSW Supreme Court at Darlinghurst during their trial. Photo: Wolter Peeters.

Judge Fagan stopped short of aborting the six month trial. He apologised for being “heavy-handed” about the matter, but said if further jurors are compromised the case would “run the risk of being aborted and run again later, at a cost I leave to your imaginations.”

The trial, which began in February, relates to Mr Alex, his son Arthur Alex, Mark Ronald Bryers, Gordon McAndrew, Lindsay John Kirschberg, and Pasquale Loccisano.

All pleaded not guilty to conspiring to cause a loss to the Australian Taxation Office, and dealing with the proceeds of crime totalling $1 million or more from 2018 to 2020 in Sydney and the Gold Coast.

Source: The Australian

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Meet the new generation of Greek youth shaping the future of Hellenism in Canberra

The GOCCC Emerging Leaders (GEL) Committee 2025 is a hand-selected youth subcommittee made up of dedicated young individuals.

Hellenic Kids returns this month with three days of culture and fun

This April, children from Kindy to Year 6 are invited to dive into the Hellenic Kids Activities Program, running from 15 April to 17 April.

Coalition pledges $2 million to upgrade Heidelberg United Alexander FC facilities

The Coalition has recently announced a $2 million funding commitment to Heidelberg United Alexander Football Club.

HACCI National Federation holds online event on Greek-Australian trade relations

HACCI National Federation marked a milestone with its inaugural online event ‘Bridging Markets: Greece-Australia Trade Insights’ on March 20.

Genocide mentioned in Victorian Parliament

The movement for the recognition of the Genocide of the Armenians, Assyrians and Greeks has gained momentum in Victorian Parliament this week.

You May Also Like

Cumberland City Mayor, Steve Christou, sues author of petition labelling him ‘racist’

Cumberland City Mayor, Steve Christou, has launched defamation proceedings against the author of an online petition calling him racist.

Newly restored Bourtzi Castle in Nafplio opens its doors to the public

Having undergone extensive restoration and maintenance, the Venetian Bourtzi Castle located on Nafplio has reopened to the public.

Australia takes the lead in demanding the return of the Parthenon Marbles to Greece

The Australian Committee for the Return of the Parthenon Sculptures has given advice to the Greek government about how best to handle the British Museum.