Business Sydney’s Paul Nicolaou welcomes review of NSW Visitor Economy Strategy

·

Millions of extra airline seats, tens of thousands of hotel rooms and a focus on experience-led tourism will transform the state’s visitor economy into a $91 billion powerhouse as set out in a government review of the NSW Visitor Economy Strategy.  

On Tuesday, October 8, the NSW Premier Chris Minns and his Tourism Minister John Graham have set ambitious targets for the visitor economy. 

Business Sydney, Business NSW and Business Western Sydney were proud to host the release of the strategy and publicly support the NSW Government plans going forward.

The Government has adopted the more ambitious goal of $91 billion in annual visitor economy expenditure by 2035 – a 40% increase on the original goal. 

(L-R) Paul Nicolaou, Executive Director of Business Sydney, David Borger, Executive Director of Business Western Sydney, The Hon. John Graham MLC, and Sally Loane, the Chair of Destination NSW facilitating a Q&A on the review.

Such a strong growth trajectory will further cement tourism as a critical pillar of future growth in the NSW economy, driving up to 150,000 new jobs by 2035.

The strategy identifies key challenges including:

  • The need for 40,000 extra hotel rooms, a 41% increase on what’s currently available.
  • Significant worker and skills shortages in roles such as tour guides and chefs.
  • Need for increased business event facilities in Sydney, Western Sydney and priority regional areas.

The Premier said “We are ready to put our shoulder to the wheel and attract even more travellers to NSW, boosting local business and creating thousands of jobs.”

Minister John Graham said “NSW has the nature, the culture and incredible experiences. We just need to match it with hard work and planning.”

The Hon. John Graham MLC with the Premier the Hon. Chris Minns MP launching the review.

The Executive Director of Business Sydney Paul Nicolaou said it’s time to “confirm the international appeal of the experiences on offer in Sydney.”

“Last week Sydney was voted the ‘best city in the world’ in the Condè Nast Traveller UK’s 2024 Readers’ Choice Awards The poll cited Sydney’s ‘unique, indoor-outdoor way of life’ which speaks directly to the review’s recommendation to focus the NSW Visitor Economy Strategy on ‘experience tourism’,” he added.

“Business Sydney fully supports the State Government’s plans and will work with all stakeholders to help achieve the goals and objectives of the review.”

Cretan Convention - Web Banner

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Andrew Liveris: Brisbane 2032 Olympics are ahead of schedule

Brisbane Olympics president Andrew Liveris spoke to the International Olympic Committee to address stadium plan for the 2032 Games.

Greece to invest 25 billion euros in major defence revamp

Greece is set to invest 25 billion euros in a comprehensive defence overhaul, marking the "most drastic" transformation in its modern history.

Adelaide man charged after alleged attempt to smuggle $20m of cocaine from Greece

A South Australian man could face a life sentence in jail after being charged over an alleged plot to smuggle 20kg of cocaine from Greece.