‘Tough times do not excuse tougher times at home,’ says Fiona Martin MP

·

The Morrison Government is rolling out extra measures to ensure people experiencing domestic, family and sexual violence know where to get help during the coronavirus pandemic.

The Help is Here campaign will include advertising of two national helplines, 1800RESPECT and MensLine Australia, across television, social media, radio and newspapers, as well as in shopping centres, hospitals and GP surgeries.

Member for Reid, Dr Fiona Martin, welcomed the new campaign and said it will show all Australians that there is free and confidential help at all hours, every day, if they are feeling unsafe in their homes.

“It’s important that anybody who feels unsafe in their home is able access help,” Dr Martin said.

“The campaign aims to make sure everybody in Reid is aware of the two national hotlines where they go for support. Tough times do not excuse tougher times at home.”

Minister for Families and Social Services, Senator Anne Ruston, also supported the campaign and said it will direct people more easily to the hotlines where they can talk directly and confidentially via online chat or phone.

“The campaign delivers the strong message that violence and abuse are never acceptable, no matter the circumstances,” Minister Ruston said.

“Increased stresses at a time like this are known and understandable but they are not an excuse for causing physical or psychological harm.”

Since the coronavirus pandemic began, more than 15 percent of contacts for MensLine Australia have been COVID-19 specific, while 1800RESPECT has seen an 11 percent increase in people accessing support when compared with the same time last year.

If you or someone you know is experiencing or at risk of domestic, family or sexual violence contact 1800RESPECT (1800 737 732) 1800respect.org.au or MensLine Australia (1300 789 978) mensline.org.au

For further information on the Federal Government’s Help is Here campaign, visit: www.australia.gov.au/dvsupport

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC finish runners-up after strong OFC Pro League campaign

South Melbourne FC’s remarkable run in the inaugural OFC Pro League came to a narrow end on Sunday night, with Hellas going down 2-1...

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

You May Also Like

UK and Greece sign deal to bolster defence and trade ties

Nikos Dendias and Liz Truss signed a Memorandum of Understanding on Strategic Bilateral Framework between Greece and the UK on Monday.

Nikos Magitsis: The first Greek to complete ‘7 summits’

On this day in 2003, Magitsis became the first Greek to hike the peaks of both the South and the North Poles.

Maria Sakkari storms into quarterfinals of Japan Open

No.4 Seed Maria Sakkari has reached the Toray Pan Pacific Open quarterfinals in Japan after defeating Japan's Misaki Doi in straight sets