Kon Karapanagiotidis and the ASRC help public housing residents in lockdown

·

Services and support for tenants in the two public housing estates under lockdown in Victoria is ramping up, with thousands of meals, supplies and personal care packs delivered in the past 24 hours.

Among those offering help is CEO of the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre (ASRC), Kon Karapanagiotidis, who announced the Centre has partnered with Victorian Trades Hall Council to provide food for the families in lockdown.

UPDATEWe are proud to stand with Victorian Trades Hall Council at the public housing towers this afternoon to confirm…

Posted by Asylum Seeker Resource Centre (ASRC) on Sunday, 5 July 2020

“Our Catering Social Enterprise, ASRC Catering, will deliver thousands of meals as part of the Moving Feast network emergency response to this crisis…” Kon said in a Facebook post.

“It will be refugees we employ at the ASRC, through our Catering Social Enterprise, that will be making meals for people in the public housing towers, many who are refugees too. Food that is culturally inclusive, appropriate & nutritious, as these communities deserve.”

Last night 500 packs of essential supplies and over 3,000 meals were delivered to residents. Many thousands more will be delivered today and tomorrow with the help of ASRC.

“We have our first delivery at 8am tomorrow. Right now our chefs are making a beautiful Malay, yellow vegetarian curry,” Kon said on Twitter.

“We, like you, are really worried about the families there and we’re trying to do our little bit to make this lockdown a little less traumatic for people.”

According to Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews, a dedicated 1800 number has also been set up and every tenant is being contacted to check in and assess their needs.

“We know this is tough on our public housing residents and that’s why we’re doing everything we can to provide support – whether that’s food, mental health support or just help paying the bills,” the Premier said at a press conference today.

So far 398 residents have been tested across the two estates, with testing to continue to be a priority over the next few days.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Body image in Greek Australian culture

The report highlighted that an estimated 4.1 million Australians aged 15 and over have experienced body dissatisfaction.

SoulChef Sundays: A taste of tradition with Katiki Cheese Pie

This week, SoulChef presents a lighter, contemporary take on a classic — without sacrificing authenticity or flavour.

Greek as always: Different languages, same ancient soul

We Greeks have always been adventurous people. The Minoans sailed the Mediterranean and traded exotic goods.

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

You May Also Like

Artemus Group to revamp Manly Wharf with Hugos Manly acquisition

Artemus Group, the hospitality powerhouse behind Brisbane's Howard Smith Wharves, has acquired the iconic Hugos Manly.

Immigration Minister: Reduced migration ‘an exacerbating cause’ of Australia’s labour shortages

There is a looming shortage of workers across Australia, with reduced migration being an exacerbating factor.

New Consul General of Greece in Adelaide Alexandra Theodoropoulos begins duties

Marking the beginning of her duties, the new Consulate General of Greece in Adelaide, Alexandra Theodoropoulos, visited Bishop Silouan.