‘Χαίρετε’ says new campaign welcoming Australians back outside

·

“Χαίρετε: It’s really great to see you again” and other greetings in different languages are being splashed across billboards in Sydney’s CBD, as part of a new national ‘Out-of-Home campaign’ launched by JCDecaux.

The campaign aims to say ‘Hello’ to Australians as they steadily return to workplaces, shopping and dining precincts and their regular routines and commutes.

“I’ve been working in the Sydney CBD for over 30 years and it’s the first time I have ever seen the Greek language displayed in Pitt Street or anywhere around the city,” Helen Kofinas Roubis, who first spotted the billboard, tells The Greek Herald.

“I actually felt very proud – much like Mr Portokalis from My Big Fat Greek Wedding!”

The billboards will be displaying greetings in 10 of the most commonly spoken languages across Australia (according to latest ABS data), as well as Auslan for the hearing impaired and traditional First Nation dialects.

“JCDecaux is in a unique position to make meaningful connections with communities, wherever they are, be it in the hearts of cities or deep in the suburbs,” JCDecaux Chief Marketing Officer, Essie Wake, said in a statement.

“The easing of restrictions is seeing people returning to public places, and people have a strong desire to get back to business and spend more time outdoors.

“Our ‘Hello’ campaign acknowledges the return of communities and aims to make people feel welcomed and comfortable moving about within those communities.”

Monument to migration - Mother's Day

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Latest News

How Commodore John Stavridis commemorates ANZAC Day every year

Every year, on April 25, Australians honour all those who have fallen, those who have served and all of those who continue to serve.

Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos aims to qualify for Paris Olympics

On Thursday 25 April, Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos will depart for the World Athletics Relays Bahamas 24.

‘I get closer to my faith’: Greek Orthodox people on the importance of fasting for Easter

With Orthodox Easter around the corner, the Lent period leading up to Holy Saturday and Anastasi continues.

Honouring the memory of dual ANZAC Constantine Aroney BEM at his restored grave

Each year on ANZAC Day we commemorate those who fought and died at Gallipoli in 1915 and those brave men and women who have fought since.

Women’s justice champ unveils the untold story of WWII ANZACs from Brunswick to Greece

Phil Cleary's latest project, “Gladys and the Brunswick Boys,” delves into the experiences of World War II ANZACs who fought in Greece.

You May Also Like

Refugee women in Greece showcase photographs at Miami Art Week

Refugee women living in camps in Greece are showing their photos at the One World Show exhibit during Miami Art Week.

Greek couple ‘seas the day’ after man proposes to girlfriend underwater on museum tour (Video)

Happiness comes in waves, or in this case, it came underwater after a proposal took place in the biggest Natural Sea Park off Alonissos: Underwater.

Gladys Berejiklian: “Our message is simple – get the COVID vaccine”

"It's not a matter that we have to protect our lives and health, we have to protect our society, we have to protect our country," Archbishop Makarios said.