Melbourne cancels Greek Independence Day March this year

·

The Organising Committee for the Celebration of the Greek National Day in Victoria has officially announced the cancellation of the Greek Independence Day March for 2021.

The march was scheduled to take place on Sunday, March 21 at the Shrine of Remembrance in Victoria.

The Organising Committee said it was in the “unpleasant position” to cancel the march as it had been working hard to make this year’s 200th anniversary event perfect for Melbourne’s Greek community.

On Wednesday, January 27, the Committee held its first meeting for the year 2021. Reference was made to the community’s rich program to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the start of the Greek Revolution. The General Secretary, Antonis Tsourdalakis, congratulated and thanked the organisations, schools and parishes that showed interest in organising an anniversary event and declared their participation so that their event was included in the official program of Victoria for 2021, but also in the national program of the Holy Archdiocese of Australia.

READ MORE: Victorian program for the 200th anniversary of Greek Independence Day released.

After referring to the program, Mr Tsourdalakis told the members of the Committee that due to the restrictive measures of the pandemic that still prevail in the state of Victoria and the measures imposed by the Guardians of the Shrine, they should be especially careful with the handling of this year’s parade.

The biggest problem the Committee had to deal with was the gathering of a large number of people. According to the regulations that prevail at this time, the Guardians of the Shrine informed Mr Tsourdalakis that only 500 people are allowed to gather and it is strictly forbidden to exceed that number, explaining that if this happens there will be consequences and sanctions to individuals, as well as the officials of the Organising Committee, which may include not allowing the march to be held in the future at the Shrine of Remembrance.

Many views were exchanged on the issue with all members agreeing that their priority was the safety of their fellow human beings, without endangering the wider Victorian society, but also securing the parade for the future. The members present unanimously agreed to cancel this year’s parade.

Mr Tsourdalakis closed the meeting by emphasising that the Greek community will have the opportunity to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the beginning of the Greek Revolution through a variety of anniversary ceremonies organised by expatriates and citizens. 

Although the parade will not take place for the second year in a row due for public health reasons, in Melbourne where the “heart” of Hellenism beats, the rest of the emblematic actions and events will continue in honor of the 200th anniversary of the Revolution of 1821 and the personalities who marked the liberation struggle.

greek film festival sydney new

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Channel Nine and reporter Josh Bavas hit back after Bob Katter MP outburst

Channel Nine has condemned federal MP Bob Katter’s behaviour after a fiery press conference where he threatened journalist Josh Bavas.

Greek Orthodox Church in Gaza denies IDF evacuation order

Reports of an evacuation order for the Greek Orthodox Church of St Porphyrius in Gaza City have sparked confusion,

Historic night for Greek football as Panathinaikos, PAOK and AEK qualify for Europe

Panathinaikos, PAOK and AEK Athens all secured their places in the League Phase of European competition. Read more here.

Champions League 2025: Olympiacos braced for demanding League Phase

Olympiacos face a daunting challenge in this season’s UEFA Champions League after being drawn against some of Europe’s elite clubs.

Maria Sakkari storms into US Open third round with dominant win

Maria Sakkari has advanced to the third round of the US Open after an impressive straight-sets victory over Hungary’s Ana Bondar, 6–3, 6–1.

You May Also Like

‘eBay for rental’: Peter Krideras launches new re-commerce marketplace Releaseit

Peter Krideras and Steve Kulmar have already raised $3m from investors and signed up 30 top retail companies to back their new marketplace.

Athens brought to a standstill as public workers strike over labour reform bill

A contentious labor reform bill that has sparked nationwide protests and strikes was carried through Parliament on Wednesday.

Greek Australians shortlisted for Greek International Women Awards

Four Greek Australians have all been shortlisted as finalists for the Greek International Women Awards (GIWA).