Federal MP calls on Scott Morrison to condemn Hagia Sophia decision

·

Federal Member for Adelaide Steve Georganas has sent a letter to Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison and Foreign Affairs Minister Marise Payne, requesting the Australian leaders to condemn the actions of the Turkish government in moving to convert the Hagia Sophia museum into a mosque.

“We ask that the Australian Government urge President Erdogan to reverse his decision and restore Hagia Sophia as a museum for people of all faiths and all cultures,” Mr Georganas said in his letter to the Prime Minister.

“This decision is not only disrespectful towards Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, founder of the Turkish Republic, but to the many communities from around the world as it also constitutes a violation of the world cultural heritage memorial as Hagia Sophia is a UNESCO listed site.”

Photo: ABC News/Nick Haggarty

In response, a spokesperson from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has released a statement.

“Hagia Sophia is a unique and historic symbol for Turkey and the surrounding region, which holds religious and cultural significance for many religious communities and other groups,” the spokesperson says in the statement.

“It is a UNESCO World Heritage site and Australia would like to see Hagia Sophia remain open to all.”

Read More: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia condemns conversion of Hagia Sophia into Mosque

Read More: Bill Papastergiadis calls on Australian Prime Minister to condemn decision to convert Hagia Sophia into a mosque

The Greek Orthodox Community of Melbourne also previously requested for the Australian Prime Minister to denounce the decision, with GCM President Bill Papastergiadis emphasising the importance and symbolic role of Hagia Sophia.

“Hagia Sofia Is a significant cultural monument acknowledged by UNESCO to be of World significance. It plays a significant symbolic role in the life of many people around the world, including Australians of Greek background,” Mr Papastergiadis wrote to Scott Morrison.

“The decision last week by the Turkish authorities to reinstate it as a mosque has been condemned worldwide and we now call on the Australian Government to add to the outcry.”

The Australian Prime Minister has not yet responded to the global crisis currently underway in the Eastern European region.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Late drama sees South Melbourne FC and Auckland FC share points

Two late goals saw South Melbourne FC and Auckland FC settle for a share of the points in an encounter in Melbourne for the OFC Pro League.

Thousands celebrate as Patras Carnival parade lights up the city

An explosion of colour, creativity and satire filled the streets of Patras as the grand parade of the Patras Carnival unfolded on Sunday.

Body image in Greek Australian culture

The report highlighted that an estimated 4.1 million Australians aged 15 and over have experienced body dissatisfaction.

SoulChef Sundays: A taste of tradition with Katiki Cheese Pie

This week, SoulChef presents a lighter, contemporary take on a classic — without sacrificing authenticity or flavour.

Greek as always: Different languages, same ancient soul

We Greeks have always been adventurous people. The Minoans sailed the Mediterranean and traded exotic goods.

You May Also Like

NSW Government issues largest fine over woodchipper death

A1 Arbor Tree Services Pty Ltd was convicted and fined in the NSW District Court for death of a worker killed using a woodchipper in 2019.

Greek and Israeli Defence Ministers re-affirm close ties during meeting

Greek Defence Minister, Nikos Panagiotopoulos, met with his Israeli counterpart, Benny Gantz, on Thursday at the Israeli Ministry of Defence.

ANZ challenges $100m claim from former trader Etienne Alexiou

ANZ is contesting a claim by its former trader Etienne Alexiou, who alleges he would have earned $100 m had he not been dismissed in 2015.