‘They will return to Greece’: Emanuel J. Comino lectures on Parthenon Marbles in Victoria

·

“Whatever I have done until now, I have done it with my soul and I am sure that one day these marbles are going to get back to Greece. I don’t know when but for sure they will get there,” Emanuel J. Comino tells The Greek Herald after his lecture in Brunswick, Victoria.

Mr Comino’s lecture on the Parthenon Marbles was organised by the Pallaconian Brotherhood of Melbourne & Victoria “Leonidas.”

Emmanuel J. Comino.
Emmanuel with Pallaconian Brotherhood President Miltiadis Paikopoulos.

More than 100 guests filled the Brotherhood’s hall in Brunswick on Wednesday, March 29. Among them were Dr Tim Read MP; Russell Darnley OAM; Chair of Classics at Melbourne University, Professor Tim Parkin; as well as Dr Roslynne Bell, Professor Lieve Donnellan and Professor Andonis Piperoglou from the University of Melbourne. The President of Hellenic Writers, Roma Siachos, and members of AHEPA also attended the event.

Official guests.
Emmanuel with guests at the event.
The event was filled with people.

After a warm introduction by the Pallaconian Brotherhood President, Miltiadis Paikopoulos, Mr Comino stepped on stage and gave an impressive and passionate lecture about the Parthenon marbles – starting from their creation to the moment they were stolen by Lord Elgin. He also gave insights into the latest situation with the British Museum, where the Parthenon Marbles are currently.

Emmanuel giving his lecture.

The 90-year-old first started the international campaign for the return of the Parthenon Marbles to Greece. He is the founder and Chairman of the International Organising Committee – Australia – For the Restitution of the Parthenon Sculptures (IOC-A-RPM) and is also the Vice-Chairman of the International Association for the Reunification of the Parthenon Sculptures. He was awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) in the Australia Day Honours List in 1985.

Emmanuel with a guest.

His life-long contribution to the restitution of the Parthenon Marbles to Greece is considered to be admirable and the lecture which took place on Wednesday evening, showcased exactly that. His devotion to his goal is still there and louder than ever.

*All photos copyright: The Greek Herald / Giorgos Psomiadis.

Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Latest News

Konstantina Sideris: Sacred impressions through art

Amidst the reverence and reflection of Greek Orthodox Easter, we highlight the work of artist Konstantina Sideris.

Chris Lucas to open new restaurant in Canberra

Chris Lucas, the restaurateur behind Chin Chin in Sydney and Melbourne, is about to open a new restaurant named Carlotta in Canberra.

Greek Orthodox Easter between three cultures

It's Easter, the most important religious event for Greek Orthodox people all over the world. Greek families come together.

‘A time of reflection and peace’: Australian Prime Minister celebrates Orthodox Easter

Australian Prime Minister, Anthony Albanese, has issued a message to Greek communities across the country to celebrate Orthodox Easter today.

Peter Dutton MP sends message of hope for Orthodox Easter

Australia’s Leader of the Opposition, Peter Dutton MP, has issued a message to mark Orthodox Easter today. Read the message here.

You May Also Like

US President hosts annual Greek Independence Day celebration at White House

US President Joe Biden hosted his annual Greek Independence Day event at the White House on Wednesday, April 3.

BREAKING: Fire breaks out in migrant camp at Turkey-Greece border as tents are burnt down [Video]

A fire has broken out in a Turkish migrant camp on the Greece-Turkey border, shown to be destroying tents and setting the forest ablaze....

‘Don’t Call Me A Wog!’ review: Anthony Locascio’s coming of age story

Don’t Call me A Wog! is a coming-of-age story that navigates his 29-year, on-again, off-again relationship with his ethnicity.