Who else is craving some meatballs with crispy, oven potatoes? Niki Louca from My Greek Kitchen shares her favourite recipe with The Greek Herald. You can follow her on Instagram @mygreekkitchen for more!
- 1 kg beef mince (or half pork, half beef).
- 1 large onion finely diced.
- 1 large carrot grated.
- 1 cup finely diced cabbage.
- 1/2 bunch parsley finely chopped.
- 1 tbsp dried mint.
- 1 tbsp dried oregano.
- Salt to taste.
- ½ tsp black pepper.
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs.
- 4 capfuls of whiskey or Scotch.
- 2 eggs.
- ½ cup olive oil.
- Extra 1 cup olive oil.
- Passata sauce – approx 1-2 cups.
- 6 large roasting potatoes
- Preheat your oven to 180C fan force. Grease a baking tray with half of the extra olive oil.
- Combine all of the above ingredients except for the extra olive oil, Passata sauce and potatoes.
- Mix the biftekia mixture well and form into 6-8 equal balls. Squash them slightly and put in the baking dish.
- Peel your potatoes and cut them into quarters lengthwise. Place them in a bowl, add 1 tsp of salt and ½ cup of the extra olive oil. Toss them in the bowl till all potatoes are well coated with the salt and oil.
- Arrange the biftekia around your baking dish and put the potatoes in the centre.
- Add spoonfuls of the Passata sauce on top of each meat ball, covering it well.
- Cook for approximately 35-40 mins till tops of meat balls and potatoes are browned. Turn them over and cook for a further 30 or so minutes till golden brown on the other side as well.
- Serve with a salad of your choice.
Niki Louca runs cooking classes in Melbourne. For more or to book classes visit My Greek Kitchen at www.mygreekkitchen.com.au or Instagram @mygreekkitchen. You can email Niki at: firstname.lastname@example.org.