‘I was lucky’: How Nick Andrianakos went from petrol-pumping to Australian billionaire

·

Melbourne entrepreneur, Nick Andrianakos, has opened up recently to The Australian Financial Review about his life story and how patience, a passion for property and a lot of petrol-pumping led to him being named on Australia’s Rich List.

In the interview, Andrianakos describes how he was born in 1943 on a farm in the Greek village of Pikerni, about 160 kilometres west of Athens. He left school in the third grade to help his family and later completed two years of army service.

After returning home from his service, he decided he needed to leave and make a new life in Australia.

READ MORE: Nick Andrianakos invests over $135 million for half stake in Adelaide shopping mall.

“When I left my parents were crying, but there was no other option,” Andrianakos tells the newspaper.

Nick Andrianakos is also a property investor.

Migrating to Australia on the Patris, Andrianakos arrived at Port Melbourne in January 23, 1967. The rest, as they say, was history.

The billionaire met and married, Anthoula, and she raised their four children as Andrianakos worked stints at leather and steel factories. Later, he bought his first service station (and the land beneath it) in Coburg in 1976.

READ MORE: Petrol king Nick Andrianakos takes over Adelaide tower in $175 million deal.

“I was doing everything – checking tyres, fighting with the suppliers. It was 16-hour days to support my family and get ahead,” Andrianakos said.

Finally, in 1981, he secured two more BP sites in Footscray and Coburg. In 2017, he sold what was by then 54 service stations under his Milemaker Petroleum chain to their fuel supplier, Caltex, for $95 million.

Andrianakos sold his petrol stations to Caltex.

Since then, Andrianakos has also bought office towers in Adelaide and Brisbane.

READ MORE: 11 Australians of Greek heritage named on the prestigious ‘Richest 250’ list.

Andrianakos said he “was lucky” with these sales but it’s clear his success isn’t simply tied to luck. Rather, its his hard work ethic and strong morals which have made him the man he is today.

“I built Milemaker on my word and I respect people who keep theirs,” he concluded. “Tell me a lie, I can’t accept it. Tell me the truth, I give you my heart.”

Source: The Australian Financial Review.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Latest News

‘Axion Esti’ concert to be celebrated in three Australian cities

Composer Mikis Theodorakis' stirring musical oratorio "Axion Esti" to lyrics by Nobel Prize-winning poet Odysseus Elytis set for Australia.

Greek Orthodox Community of SA youth enjoy Easter craft workshop

The Greek Orthodox Community of SA (GOCSA) youth took part in an Orthodox Easter Workshop on Sunday, April 21 at Olympic Hall.

Voting, Citizenship, Identity: Interview with Consul General of Greece in Adelaide, George Psiachas

In his exclusive interview with The Greek Herald, Consul General of Greece in Adelaide, George Psiachas unpacks core responsibilities.

Sydney’s Greek, Armenian and Assyrian communities March for Justice

The Armenian, Assyrian and Hellenic communities joined voices to demand Federal parliamentary recognition of their ancestors' genocides.

The Block winners Steph and Gian sell Bexley home for almost $2 million

Last year’s winners of The Block, Steph and Gian Ottavio, have sold their renovated home in Sydney's Bexley for $1,825,000.

You May Also Like

One of the last Greek survivors of Auschwitz dies aged 98

Vaso Stamatiou, one of the few remaining Greek survivors of Auschwitz, has sadly passed away at the age of 98.

On This Day: World Press Freedom Day

World Press Freedom Day reminds us of the importance of protecting the fundamental rights to freedom of expression and freedom of the press.

Bucks assistant coach joins Giannis Antetokounmpo on Greece’s EuroBasket team

Milwaukee Bucks assistant coach, Josh Oppenheimer, will join the coaching staff for Greece's national team in the EuroBasket 2022.