Vaughn Arambatzis: Meet the Georges River Council’s Young Citizen of the Year

·

15-year-old teenager Vaughn (Vaio) Arambatzis from Sydney has gained major recognition after being named one of two Young Citizens of the Year for Georges River Council.

This award is handed out annually and recognises young people making a difference in their community.

Vaughn was rewarded for his strong commitment to recycling and active involvement with the Sydney Dogs and Cats Home.

In 2022, he earned the Keep Australia Beautiful (NSW) ‘Young Legend’s Award’ and was named ‘Community Champion’ for Georges River Council.

Vaughn Arambatzis
Vaughn Arambatzis with one of his purple collection bins outside an F45 Gym to collect drinking containers. Photo supplied.

Vaughn told The Greek Herald his goal was to raise much needed funds for the Sydney Dogs and Cats Home by collecting cans and bottles and recycling them through the NSW Government’s Return and Earn Scheme.

Since commencing in 2020, he said he has collected and recycled 35,000 drink containers for the Return and Earn Scheme.

Vaughn said undertaking charity work was always something he really enjoyed.

“In 2018, we adopted a dog from the shelter, and it turned out that she just wasn’t the right fit for our family, so we had to give her back,” Vaughn explained.

“As most shelters would have euthanised her, we were lucky that Sydney Dogs and Cats Home don’t euthanise unless it’s necessary, so I was really happy about that.

“Then when my school started something called ‘SOL Service,’ which stands for Shinning Our Light, and it encouraged us to go out and do something for the community, I just decided then and there that I wanted to start raising money for the shelter and I’ve been doing it ever since.”

Vaughn Arambatzis
Vaughn Arambatzis with Councillor Natalie Mort. Photo supplied.

Vaughn said he was extremely grateful to be named Georges River Council’s Young Citizen of the Year for 2024.

“I’m honestly very shocked to receive this recognition,” he said. “To even be nominated by Councillor Natalie Mort is a huge honour and it makes me feel really grateful.”

Vaughn’s parents also expressed their pride for their son’s achievements.

“We feel very proud of Vaio, and we’re pleased that he’s committed to a cause that he is passionate about,” Barbara Arambatzis said.

“We hope that he can continue with his project because the Sydney Dogs and Cats home fulfils a very important need in our community.”

The Young Citizen of the Year said he now aims to get more people involved in recycling within his community, as well as encourage others in different communities to recycle and find ways to contribute and support their local charities.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Latest News

Easter on the Holy Mountain: A pilgrimage to Mount Athos

Mount Athos, a place of profound significance, beckons travellers from all corners of the world. It is known as the “Holy Mountain".

The Greeks of Tashkent: Photo exhibition and talk by Costas Politis in Sydney

The Greek Festival of Sydney will proudly host two very important events for "The Greeks of Tashkent" as part of its program for 2024. The...

Orthodox Easter: A time filled with love and spirituality for residents of Ibis Care

With Orthodox Easter approaching, the Ibis Care community commemorate this significant time in the Orthodox religious calendar.

The Cosmos in Cosmopolitanism: Nikos Papastergiadis launches new book in Melbourne

Before a packed house comprising of leading scholars at the Greek Center in Melbourne, Nikos Papastergiadis launched his most recent book.

Unite for a cause at the 6th Annual Breakfast for Brain Cancer in Sydney

During Brain Cancer Action Month, friends and supporters of the White Pearl Foundation are uniting once again on Friday, May 24.

You May Also Like

George Frantzoglou: The magic has returned to Santa’s official hometown

George Frantzoglou tells The Greek Herald how the magic has returned to the official hometown of Santa Claus.

Greek doctors protest ‘suffocating’ conditions at COVID-19 clinics as cases skyrocket

Greek hospital doctors went on a day-long strike on Tuesday to protest “suffocating” conditions at hospitals on the coronavirus frontline.

Greek storytime children’s program expands to new libraries in Victoria

The 'Greek Storytime' children's program is expanding to new libraries in Victoria, The Pharos Working Group has announced.