Superstar tennis duo open up about 15-year friendship and life off the court

·

Nick Kyrgios and Thanasi Kokkinakis made waves at this year’s Australian Open when they walked away with a title in only their fourth grand slam together. The duo, known famously as the “Special Ks,” spoke about their friendship during an interview with Stellar.

The pair caught up with each other after their first Grand Slam victory for another milestone event, a joint photoshoot. Although some might say one achievement outweighs the other, Nick Kyrgios tells Stellar“My perspective on life is I don’t take anything for granted.”

“We don’t have to say much. We just know:

Kokkinakis recalls the tournament in Canberra that he met Kyrgios at: “I saw this big boy play, and his dad was wearing all [Michael] Jordan gear, and I thought, this is my type of guy.” 

Their love for the game, mutual outside hobbies and their Greek heritage laid the foundation for a friendship that has seen them both through the highs and lows of a career in sport and the spotlight.

“I don’t really click that well with too many other Australian tennis players; not that I don’t necessarily like them,” Kyrgios says in the Stellar interview.

“I just don’t get along with them as well. But with Kokk, its easy. We don’t have to say much. We just know.

“I always feel comfortable opening up to him and telling him if I’m struggling. I don’t do that often. I don’t like telling people who I don’t trust.”

When asked about their tennis future, Kyrgios confidently admits: “We are changing the game of tennis, and I think Thanasi has realised he’s part of that too. He’s one of the select few players who can do it.”

Source: The Daily Telegraph

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Jon Adgemis’ Public Hospitality Group lists first pub for sale amid mounting debt

The owner of Public Hospitality Group (PHG) Jon Adgemis has listed his first pub on the market, following the collapse of his debt deal...

SA Minister Tom Koutsantonis among 235 Australians banned from entering Russia

South Australia's Energy and Transport Minister Tom Koutsantonis and the former Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews are amongst more than 200 people who have been...

Man falsely accused of Bondi attack hires lawyer Sue Chrysanthou to sue Seven Network

A well-known defamation lawyer from Sydney, Sue Chrysanthou will represent in court a man falsely accused of stabbing and murdering six people in the...

Protypo Greek Centre in Victoria to benefit from government boost to language schools

Protypo Greek Centre in Victoria has been announced as one of the language centres which will benefit from the Albanese Labor Government's new program...

Stefanos Tsitsipas advances to next round at Barcelona Open

Stefanos Tsitsipas has secured another win 6-4 7-5 against Sebastian Ofner at the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell on Wednesday, April 17. The Greek tennis star...

You May Also Like

Top 5 films by Aliki Vougiouklaki

In honour of one of the greatest faces of Greek cinema, we are looking back at some of our favourite films starring Greek actress,...

‘It’s far more common’: Chis Stefanos on the rise in pampering pets in Australia

Chris Stefanos owns four pharmacies in Melbourne, Victoria and in the 30 years that he has been working in the medical field, the day...

Mitsotakis visit to China: successful outcomes for Greek investments

"Greece offers major comparative advantages as a trade hub and tourism destination, both through its geostrategic position and through its cultural heritage and natural...