Immigrant, former restaurateur, social media sensation: Meet Greek Australian YiaYia Helen Dedes

·

One would recognise her from AGL’s latest TV campaign or YiaYia’s Greek Kitchen page on social media. But Helen Dedes, now 72, does not consider herself a celebrity. She is the YiaYia next door, just with abundant humour and positive energy.

“I love cooking. I don’t think I remember one day without cooking,” she says in the AGL advertisement.

Cooking and family are the two things she has kept close to her heart, all the way from her home country to the other side of the globe.

“My mother inspired my love of food,” says Dedes, who migrated to Australia from the island of Lesvos, in 1967 with her husband, Stavro.

“We came to Australia for a better life. To find the pot of gold. My husband was the one who wanted to come. I wanted to stay in Greece and study. I was aspiring to become a fitness instructor, but we loved each other so I followed him,” she tells The Greek Herald.

“The first years were hard. We didn’t have money and my husband had to learn the language. He was a police officer in Greece, but here he had to do different jobs to provide for us,” Mrs Dedes says. In the meantime, she started singing.

I ask if they ended up finding this pot of gold and how soon they felt Australia home. ‘Όπου γης και πατρίς’ she says in Greek, meaning that ‘Home is where the heart is.’

With her positive attitude towards life, her resilience and the belief that there is a solution to every problem, Helen Dedes and her late husband, set the foundations for one of Sydney’s most renowned restaurant chains, the Dedes Waterfront Group.

A few years ago, she retired and handed over the reins of the Dedes Group to her son, Con. “That was my proudest moment. Family is everything to us. I’m just so happy to see him taking on my passion for food and making people smile and be happy.”

But what motivates her and where does she draw her energy from?

“Think positive. This is my secret. I get my energy from my positive thinking. Positive, positive, positive,” YiaYia Dedes says.

I ask her to convey her message to the future generation of Greek Australians, through The Greek Herald, as she has been reading the paper for more than 20 years.

“Know yourself and preserve our Greek traditions and culture,” she says and continues, “grandparents, talk to your grandchildren. Help them think positive, work hard and love whatever they decide to do in life,” she says affectionately.

Ok YiaYia, we got this. Positive, positive, positive…

Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

How Commodore John Stavridis commemorates ANZAC Day every year

Every year, on April 25, Australians honour all those who have fallen, those who have served and all of those who continue to serve.

Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos aims to qualify for Paris Olympics

On Thursday 25 April, Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos will depart for the World Athletics Relays Bahamas 24.

‘I get closer to my faith’: Greek Orthodox people on the importance of fasting for Easter

With Orthodox Easter around the corner, the Lent period leading up to Holy Saturday and Anastasi continues.

Honouring the memory of dual ANZAC Constantine Aroney BEM at his restored grave

Each year on ANZAC Day we commemorate those who fought and died at Gallipoli in 1915 and those brave men and women who have fought since.

Women’s justice champ unveils the untold story of WWII ANZACs from Brunswick to Greece

Phil Cleary's latest project, “Gladys and the Brunswick Boys,” delves into the experiences of World War II ANZACs who fought in Greece.

You May Also Like

Peter Mousaferiadis invited to present at the 11th World Forum for Democracy

Cultural Infusion’s CEO Peter Mousaferiadis has been invited to speak about his passion for cultural expression as a pathway to peace.

Jailed former Golden Dawn official intends to run for Athens mayor

Jailed former Golden Dawn deputy leader, Ilias Kasidiaris, has said he intends to run for mayor of Athens in the October elections.

On This Day: Oscar-nominated actress, Nia Vardalos, was born

Nia Vardalos, is a Greek Canadian actress who became well-known for her role in the Oscar nominated film, 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding.'