Immigrant, former restaurateur, social media sensation: Meet Greek Australian YiaYia Helen Dedes

·

One would recognise her from AGL’s latest TV campaign or YiaYia’s Greek Kitchen page on social media. But Helen Dedes, now 72, does not consider herself a celebrity. She is the YiaYia next door, just with abundant humour and positive energy.

“I love cooking. I don’t think I remember one day without cooking,” she says in the AGL advertisement.

Cooking and family are the two things she has kept close to her heart, all the way from her home country to the other side of the globe.

“My mother inspired my love of food,” says Dedes, who migrated to Australia from the island of Lesvos, in 1967 with her husband, Stavro.

“We came to Australia for a better life. To find the pot of gold. My husband was the one who wanted to come. I wanted to stay in Greece and study. I was aspiring to become a fitness instructor, but we loved each other so I followed him,” she tells The Greek Herald.

“The first years were hard. We didn’t have money and my husband had to learn the language. He was a police officer in Greece, but here he had to do different jobs to provide for us,” Mrs Dedes says. In the meantime, she started singing.

I ask if they ended up finding this pot of gold and how soon they felt Australia home. ‘Όπου γης και πατρίς’ she says in Greek, meaning that ‘Home is where the heart is.’

With her positive attitude towards life, her resilience and the belief that there is a solution to every problem, Helen Dedes and her late husband, set the foundations for one of Sydney’s most renowned restaurant chains, the Dedes Waterfront Group.

A few years ago, she retired and handed over the reins of the Dedes Group to her son, Con. “That was my proudest moment. Family is everything to us. I’m just so happy to see him taking on my passion for food and making people smile and be happy.”

But what motivates her and where does she draw her energy from?

“Think positive. This is my secret. I get my energy from my positive thinking. Positive, positive, positive,” YiaYia Dedes says.

I ask her to convey her message to the future generation of Greek Australians, through The Greek Herald, as she has been reading the paper for more than 20 years.

“Know yourself and preserve our Greek traditions and culture,” she says and continues, “grandparents, talk to your grandchildren. Help them think positive, work hard and love whatever they decide to do in life,” she says affectionately.

Ok YiaYia, we got this. Positive, positive, positive…

Monument to migration - Mother's Day

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour

Advertisement

Latest News

South Sydney Rabbitohs halfback Lachlan Ilias to explore options with rival NRL clubs

South Sydney halfback, Lachlan Ilias has been granted permission to explore his options at rival NRL clubs as he prepares to leave the Rabbitohs. According...

835 Greeks in Oceania register to postal vote in European elections before deadline

As of 4:30 p.m. on Holy Monday, 188,511 Greeks from 127 different countries have registered for postal voting in European elections.

Families angered as six convicted, 15 cleared over deadly 2018 wildfire in Mati

An Athens court has convicted six people and cleared 15 others over wildfires which killed more than 100 people at a Greek resort.

Winners shine at award ceremony for the 1st Greek Youth Creative Arts Competition

The Greek Festival of Sydney held the ‘1st Greek Youth Creative Arts Competition’ this year and recently announced the winners. Read more now

Melbourne’s Vanilla Lounge preserves nearly 50-year-old family tsoureki recipe

Located at Eaton Mall in the heart of Oakleigh, Melbourne, Vanilla Lounge is where you will find some of your Greek favourites. Read more now

You May Also Like

National HACCI team meet new Greek Consul General and Trade Commissioner in Sydney

A National HACCI delegation met with the new Greek Consul General and Trade Commissioner in Sydney, New South Wales.

Spinalonga: The most astonishing abandoned town in the world

The abandoned island of Spinalonga in Greece has been recognised as one of the most photogenic and haunting places to visit in the world.  

Erling Haaland calls out Greek newspaper for reporting he spent €500k on Mykonos lunch

Reporting that the footballer spent €500,000 in six hours at a Mykonos restaurant, Haaland called out the newspaper for publishing 'fake news'.