101-year-old Hariclea Psaltis is the oldest member of Australia’s Kytherian Association

·

In her 101 years of life, Hariclea Psaltis has been a wife, a mother, a grandmother and a loving friend.

Now, she can add another title to her list as well – that of being the oldest member of the Kytherian Association of Australia (KAA).

To celebrate this achievement, The Greek Herald sat down with Hariclea’s son, Cos Psaltis, to hear all about his incredible mum and how she continues to live a life full of love and laughter.

From Kythera to Australia:

Born in 1921 in Mitata on the Greek island of Kythera, Hariclea migrated by ship to Australia via Egypt in her mid-20s to meet the man who would one day become her husband, George.

Hariclea with her husband George.

“People asked her, ‘why did you leave to come out to marry someone you didn’t really know in Australia?’ and she said, ‘I wasn’t going to marry anyone on the island’,” Cos says with a laugh.

Ultimately, the decision to have an arranged marriage in Australia was a good one. Hariclea and George grew their family with two sons, two daughters and four grandchildren, and they were also successful business owners.

The couple owned a café in the Sydney suburb of Neutral Bay, before moving to one in Spit Junction. Although Hariclea didn’t know the English language well, she was always willing to help out at the cafés and she was loved by the local community.

“They all liked her. Because it was a café and she used to cook Greek food for us, some of the customers would come in and say, ‘we want to eat what you’re eating’ and she’d let them have it,” Cos explains.

‘She doesn’t look 101’:

Of course, when Hariclea wasn’t helping out at the café, she dedicated the rest of her time to her four children.

The 101-year-old encouraged the children to immerse themselves in the Greek culture and its traditions, and also organised a few trips to Kythera.

“I mean she was a Greek mother but she was good,” Cos says with a smile.

Hariclea and George were very prosperous in Australia.

“You hear about Greek parents being over the top but they weren’t really. They were quite balanced in the end. All I know is that often I’m surprised by what she says in that her thinking is sort of very modern.”

Does Cos believe this more progressive outlook on life is the secret to Hariclea’s longevity?

“She’s always grown vegetables and had a garden and cooked so I think that’s probably what contributes to her health,” Cos answers.

Hariclea on her 101st birthday.

“She’s never smoked, she rarely drank and she’s always active. She’s never been to a hospital either except to have children, which isn’t bad for someone her age.

“She doesn’t even look 101. She looks quite good.”

A glowing outlook for a Kytherian woman whose life story deserves to be told.

Monument to migration - Mother's Day

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

How Commodore John Stavridis commemorates ANZAC Day every year

Every year, on April 25, Australians honour all those who have fallen, those who have served and all of those who continue to serve.

Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos aims to qualify for Paris Olympics

On Thursday 25 April, Australian track and field athlete Mikeala Selaidinakos will depart for the World Athletics Relays Bahamas 24.

‘I get closer to my faith’: Greek Orthodox people on the importance of fasting for Easter

With Orthodox Easter around the corner, the Lent period leading up to Holy Saturday and Anastasi continues.

Honouring the memory of dual ANZAC Constantine Aroney BEM at his restored grave

Each year on ANZAC Day we commemorate those who fought and died at Gallipoli in 1915 and those brave men and women who have fought since.

Women’s justice champ unveils the untold story of WWII ANZACs from Brunswick to Greece

Phil Cleary's latest project, “Gladys and the Brunswick Boys,” delves into the experiences of World War II ANZACs who fought in Greece.

You May Also Like

Two-thirds of young adults in Greece live with their parents

Two-thirds of Greeks aged 18-34 live with their parents, according to latest statistics from the European statistical office.

2022 Council Elections SA: Meet the Australian candidates of Greek heritage 

The 2022 Council Elections will be held across South Australia on October 14 through November 10. South Australia has 68 Local Government Areas (LGAs)...

Christodoulides and Tatar unite in appeal for information on missing persons

Cyprus President and Turkish Cypriot leader appeal for information about missing persons from the 1960s and 1974 invasions.