Greece in ‘preliminary’ talks with British Museum about return of Parthenon Marbles

·

Greece’s Minister of State, Giorgos Gerapetritis, has confirmed to The Guardian that the Greek government has had preliminary talks with the British Museum in the United Kingdom in an attempt to return the Parthenon Marbles to Athens, Greece.

“It is true there is a dialogue between the Greek government and the British Museum. Right now, they are preliminary talks and, yes, I have met the British Museum’s chair, George Osborne [to discuss the issue,” Gerapetritis said.

Revelations about the negotiations were first reported on Saturday by the Greek newspaper Ta Nea, which said that officials including the Greek Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, had met George Osborne, the Chair of the British Museum, in a five-star London hotel as recently as Monday.

The news came five days after Mitsotakis told an audience at the London School of Economics that he “sensed” headway was being made on the issue and that a “win-win solution” was possible.

Parthenon Marbles at the British Museum.

“We have seen progress,” the Greek leader said. “I do sense a momentum.”

While the British Museum didn’t deny that talks have taken place, a spokesman refused to discuss the specifics of the Ta Nea story. The museum said it was prepared to “talk to anyone, including the Greek government” about a new Parthenon “partnership.”

“As the chair of trustees said last month, we operate within the law and we’re not going to dismantle our great collection as it tells a unique story of our common humanity,” the museum said in a statement released on Saturday.

“But we are seeking new positive, long-term partnerships with countries and communities around the world, and that of course includes Greece.”

Source: Ta Nea and The Guardian.

READ MORE: Replica of Parthenon Marbles unveiled in the UK to fuel repatriation debate.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Acclaimed Greek film ‘Stelios’ to have Australian premiere in April

The Greek Festival of Sydney has announced the Australian premiere of the highly anticipated Greek film 'Stelios' on April 23, 2025.

Beyond sheftalies: Cypriot Australian youth keep reunification flame burning 50 years on

Young Cypriot Australians, born decades after the Turkish invasion of Cyprus in 1974, are grappling with the conflict’s enduring legacy.

Activists detained in Greece for protesting violence against women

Nine activists were detained in downtown Athens for raising banners on the International Day for Elimination of Violence Against Women.