Greek and Egyptian foreign ministers slam Turkish-Libyan maritime energy deal as ‘illegal’

·

The foreign ministers of Greece and Egypt met in Cairo on Sunday to discuss the recent signing of preliminary maritime energy and gas deals between Turkey and Libya’s government of national unity.

Speaking at a joint news conference, Greek Foreign Minister Nikos Dendias said talks with his Egyptian counterpart, Sameh Shukry, focused on the Turkish-Libyan agreements and stressed they were a threat to regional stability.

“This agreement threatens stability and security in the Mediterranean,” Dendias said.

The deals, signed last week in the Libyan capital of Tripoli, include the joint exploration of hydrocarbon reserves in Libya’s offshore waters and national territory.

Dendias slammed the deals as “illegal and inadmissible,” saying they infringed on Greek waters. 

“Turkey seeks to take advantage of the turbulent situation in Libya in order to further destabilise the Mediterranean region and establish regional hegemony,” the Greek foreign minister said.

“We will use all legal means to defend our rights.”

For his part, the Egyptian foreign minister said Dbeibah, the leader of one of two competing governments in divided Libya, has no authority to conclude such deals given that its mandate expired following Libya’s failure to hold nationwide elections in December last year.

Shukry called for the UN to take “a clear position” on the legitimacy of Dbeibah’s government, saying the international body “should not keep silent.”

According to AP News, the two ministers also discussed developments in the Aegean Sea, in reference to recent tensions with Turkey.

Turkey’s latest memorandum with Libya follows an agreement it signed three years ago with Tripoli that demarcated the countries’ shared maritime borders. This was also slammed by Greece, Egypt and Cyprus at the time as a violation of their economic rights.

Source: AP News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

NZ Defence Minister praises enduring friendship forged on Crete in 1941

NZ Defence Minister Chris Penk has marked the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete and the Greek Campaign.

‘Forever sealed in blood’: The Cretan song honouring the heroes of the Battle of Crete 

The Battle of Crete has been widely written about. It was an important geostrategic WWII battle (May - June 1941), to secure Crete.

South Melbourne FC storm into OFC Pro League final with dominant semi-final win

South Melbourne FC defeated Vanuatu United 4-0 in Auckland to secure a place in the inaugural OFC Pro League final at Eden Park.

You May Also Like

Kosta Papoulidis releases first ever Pontian album by an Australian-born musician

Kosta Papoulidis has released the first ever Pontian EP album to be made by an Australian-born musician titled ‘To Vrad so Ouranon.’

Greece’s PM talks with Palestinian leader about humanitarian aid for Gaza

Greece’s Prime Minister informed his Palestinian counterpart Muhammad Shtayyeh Greece is prepared to support humanitarian efforts to Gaza.

Drew Pavlou calls on Tennis Australia to hold minute silence for Peng Shuai at Australian Open

Drew Pavlou is behind a massive campaign to hand out free 'Where is Peng Shuai?' t-shirts at the Australian Open women's final on Saturday.