Health minister affirms Greece shielded against coronavirus

·

The Greek authorities have taken every measure to protect the country against the spread of the new coronavirus, Health Minister Vassilis Kikilias said on Monday, as the death toll in neighbouring Italy climbed to five.

“We have taken all the necessary precautions to safeguard the public’s health. We are organised and structured, and this is proved by the fact that we have successfully dealt with all suspicious cases so far,” Kilkilias told reporters in Athens, following a briefing of Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis on Sunday’s emergency meeting of health officials.

Apart from Kikilias, Monday’s briefing was also attended by the ministers of Education Niki Kerameus, Citizens’ Protection Michalis Chrysochoidis, Interior Takis Theodorikakos, State Giorgos Gerapetritis and Migration Notis Mitarakis, among other officials.

Kikilias said he briefed the prime minister on the latest developments concerning the virus, which surged in parts of Italy in recent days, promoting fears that it could spread to Greece.

He also appealed to the media to maintain a “serious” stance in its coverage of the outbreak by avoiding misinformation and fear-mongering.

“It is our duty to defend public health and this means we need to inform citizens in a serious and proper manner, through the proper channels,” he said.

Sunday’s emergency meeting of health officials introduced measures to bolster inspections at Greece’s entry points and particularly its western ports, which receive daily ferry traffic from Italy.

Kikilias added that 13 hospitals in different parts of the country are on standby to receive any suspicious cases and that special guidelines have been given to all hospitals, medical centers, paramedics, ambulance workers, port and airport officials, while the Health Ministry’s committee of experts on contagious diseases is also on standby.

The committee is headed by Athens University professor and infectious disease expert Dimitris Tsiodras, who is expected to hold a press conference on Monday afternoon. 

Sourced by: Ekatherimi

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

A postcard brought to life: Billy Cotsis explores the soul of Patmos

There is something about the freedom of being out on the Aegean. One can visit small islands, more populated islands, deserted beaches or simply go fishing.

From tragedy to triumph: Christina Vithoulkas becomes Australia’s first female para drifter

Vithoulkas never lost her love for extreme sports. Now 30, she has found the same thrill in drifting—a motorsport where cars slide sideways.

Program of the 11th International Summer University in Boston announced

The 11th International Summer University "Greek Language, Culture and Media" will take place from May 24-29 in Boston.

Hellenic Writer’s Association of Australia hold student literary competition

The Hellenic Writers’ Association of Australia has announced its annual Student Literary Competition, titled “From Greece to the World”.

Athens university develops first tool to measure TikTok addiction

A research team from the University of Athens has created the world’s first tool specifically designed to assess addiction to TikTok.

You May Also Like

Celebration of Hellenism at the Chau Chak Wing Museum in Sydney this May

A Greek taverna with live music and tavli boards will be recreated at the University of Sydney’s Chau Chak Wing Museum.

Sydney’s Northern Beaches enters 4-day lockdown

The Northern Beaches is being locked down from 5pm today until midnight on Wednesday, as NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian announces another 13 cases from testing on Friday.

Top five Greek travel destinations you should visit

As Covid restrictions begin to ease, we can’t help but dream about all the possible travel destinations we may soon be able to visit.