Bethlehem’s Grotto of the Nativity to undergo first restoration in six centuries

·

The Grotto of the Nativity in Bethlehem, venerated by Christians as the birthplace of Jesus Christ, is set to undergo its first restoration in six centuries, marking a significant effort to preserve one of Christianity’s most sacred sites, according to christianpost.com

The restoration was announced on January 23 by the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Jerusalem and the Custody of the Holy Land, in cooperation with the Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Patriarchate and under the auspices of the Presidency of the State of Palestine. The project reflects a rare moment of close collaboration among Christian communities responsible for the care of the holy site.

An Italian restoration company—previously involved in the conservation of the Basilica of the Nativity—will carry out the works inside the grotto. The cave, located beneath the basilica, is traditionally identified as the place of Christ’s birth and is marked by a prominent 14-pointed silver star set into white marble.

“This project embodies a unified Christian commitment to preserve the spiritual, historical, and cultural patrimony of the Holy Grotto for future generations, and to uphold the dignity of a site where the Christian proclamation took visible form and where the faithful of every nation have gathered in pilgrimage throughout the centuries,” the joint statement said.

Restoration efforts will focus on maintaining historical authenticity, ensuring continuity in craftsmanship and artistic approach. Technical reinforcement will also be carried out in adjacent areas to support the overall structure of the sanctuary.

“In the Grotto, the mystery of the Incarnation entered history, and the Christian confession received its earthly beginning,” the statement added, underscoring the site’s central role in Christian faith and tradition.

Source: christianpost.com

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

You May Also Like

Greek coroner reveals new details in case of Australian Instagram model’s death

A Greek coroner has said the case of the death of Aussie Instagram model Sinead McNamara on a $200 million yacht in Greece was closed too soon.

SA’s Deputy Premier, Vickie Chapman, launches legal action against Tom Koutsantonis MP

South Australia's Deputy Premier, Vickie Chapman, is taking legal action against Labor frontbencher, Tom Koutsantonis.

Slender-billed curlew declared extinct in Greece

The Hellenic Ornithological Society announced the extinction of the slender-billed curlew, a migratory bird.