‘A loss to old Sydney’: Vaucluse mansion once owned by Greeks demolished

·

A century-old house in Vaucluse built for the Arnott biscuit family that was proposed for heritage listing has been demolished, prompting outrage from neighbours and Woollahra Council, Domain reports.

For decades, the mansion was owned by Greek Australian couple, John and Mary Andrews, until they sold it in 2013 for $15 million to Chinese-born King Fai Chu, a director of Great Wall International, and Xiaoyi Zhu.

They were able to knock down the house after an interim heritage order was revoked by state Liberal MP Don Harwin, paving the way for a contemporary 16-room mansion.

“Upon being told that the house was being pulled down, I raced up only to see the house being torn apart under the bulldozers,” Andrew Coroneo, who lives near the mansion in Vaucluse, tells The Greek Herald.

In happier times. 46 Vaucluse Road Vaucluse before it was demolished. Photo: SMH.

“I was dismayed to learn that the historic, heritage home of my friend and near neighbours Mr John and Mrs Mary Andrews had been destroyed, against all evidence that it should not have been permitted by the authorities involved.”

The Mediterranean-style residence on 1700 square metres was built for Henry Arnott by acclaimed architect, F. Glynn Gilling. It featured classic Gilling features such as an arched entry and windows, baroque parapet and a prominent chimney.

“It was truly a beautiful home, and obviously worthy of preservation as a representative, gracious “inter-war” family house, typical of the old Lower Vaucluse…” Mr Coroneo said.

In 2015, Woollahra Council originally approved the DA for a three-level house on the site after a heritage officer mistakenly approved its demolition. In December 2019, Minister Harwin issued an interim heritage order to offer council time to assess the home’s heritage value.

The view is all that remains of the mansions. Photo: Domain.

This order was extended a year later but a Heritage NSW spokeswoman told Domain it was revoked on May 31 after the owners commenced legal proceedings in the Land and Environment Court.

Weeks later, the house had been flattened.

“I hold the Council, the Minister or their advisers, or the Government itself responsible, or perhaps all of them,” Mr Coroneo said.

“Clearly, a “crime” and a loss to old Sydney, a creeping change, now so rampant in so many Sydney suburbs.”

In a statement, a spokesman for Heritage NSW said: “Council is disappointed with this outcome which follows 18 months of work to protect the building.”

“There is currently a review of the NSW Heritage Act underway. This outcome should be used as an opportunity to review the IHO process, and council staff have provided feedback as part of the review.”

Source: Domain.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

St Demetrios Greek Orthodox church at St Marys hosts first-ever Paniyiri

People flocked to St Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church at St Marys on Sunday to celebrate the feast day of the parish’s patron saint.

100 years since the Treaty of Lausanne: A historical retrospective

To mark 100 years since the Treaty of Lausanne, two historians provide The Greek Herald and its readers with a historical retrospective.

Dean Kalymnios unveils new children’s book about rich cultural heritage of Cappadocia

Dean Kalimniou has unveiled his latest work 'The Librarian of Cappadocia,' marking the second children’s book in his writing collection.