‘Illegal and unacceptable’: Cyprus President calls National Council over Turkey’s plan to reopen Varosha

·

Cyprus President Nicos Anastasiades will preside over a session of the National Council to discuss  Turkey’s plans to reopen an abandoned suburb in Cyprus. 

President Anastasiades describes Turkey’s plans as “illegal and unacceptable”. 

“I want to send the strongest message to Mr Erdogan and his local proxies that the unacceptable actions and demands of Turkey will not be accepted,” Anastasiades said.

The United Kingdom says it will be discussing the issue as a matter of urgency with other Council members, saying it was “deeply concerned”.

European Union (EU) foreign policy chief Josep Borrell also threw his support in, writing on Twitter that the move “risks raising tensions on the island & compromising return to talks on a comprehensive settlement of the Cyprus issue.” 

It follows President Anastasiades’ phone call with Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis and comes just days after the Greek Foreign Ministry in Athens issued a statement condemning Turkey’s plans to grant Varosha civilian status. 

“Turkey must immediately stop its provocative and lawless behaviour and comply with international law,” a statement from the Ministry reads. 

It added that the Greek and Cypriot governments will work for a “just and sustainable” peace settlement along the principle of a bizonal, bicommunal federation.

The Ministry cited Turkey’s contraventions of United Nations (UN) Security Council resolutions, conclusions of the European Council, and calls from the international community, in their defence against the move.  

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Turkish Cypriot leader Ersin Tatar kicked off the chaos a few days ago with a two-day trip to Varosha to announce their decision to resettle civilians in 3.5 percent of the area. 

President Erdogan reiterated his call for a “two-state solution” in Cyprus, while slamming the EU for rejecting the idea. 

“We will not take their advice… We will do what we need to do,” President Erdogan said on Tuesday.

President Erdogan said that the only route to lasting peace on Cyprus is through the international community’s acceptance of two seperate states

“The international community will sooner or later accept this reality,” he said during celebrations to mark the 47th anniversary of the 1974 war. 

Varosha, a southern suburb of Famagusta, remained deserted since Turkey’s invasion of Cyprus in 1974 made the site a military zone and split the island. 

Nobody but the Turkish military had been able to enter since the war until Turkish-Cypriot authorities opened a small area of the once-booming resort town for day visits in November last year. 

Source: Ekathimerini

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

You May Also Like

Report on 2023 season of Australian excavations at ancient theatre of Paphos in Cyprus

The Australian archaeological mission to Paphos conducted excavation under the auspices of the Department of Antiquities of Cyprus.

Greek vs Italian semi-final set up in Lyon

World No. 5 Stefanos Tsitsipas will face 19-year-old Italian Lorenzo Musetti in the Lyon semi-final.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison releases hopeful Easter message to Australians (Greek attached)

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison has released a message to all Christians during this Easter period, expressing that this holy period.