Kamper and NSW faith leaders condemn Bondi terror attack, call for unity and solidarity

·

NSW Minister for Multiculturalism Steve Kamper and the NSW Faith Affairs Council have strongly condemned the terrorist attack at Bondi Beach, describing it as a targeted act of antisemitic violence and an assault on the fabric of Australian society.

In a statement issued on Sunday night, Kamper said the scenes at Bondi were “truly horrific,” confirming that the Chanukah by the Sea event and the Jewish community had been deliberately targeted.

“This is a despicable and cowardly act that has no place in our country,” Kamper said. “It is an attack on the very fabric of our nation.”

Expressing condolences to those affected, the Minister said his heart went out to the victims and their families, and he thanked first responders and members of the public who assisted the injured in the aftermath of the attack.

“They showed the very best of our nation,” he said, adding that police had commenced their investigation and that the attack would be met with a “widespread law enforcement response.”

Mr Kamper stressed that hatred, violence and antisemitism have no place in Australia.

A joint statement was also released by the NSW Faith Affairs Council and the Multicultural NSW Advisory Board, extending their “deepest sympathies” to the victims.

“Our prayers and thoughts are with the victims, their families and everyone impacted by this unspeakable act of violence,” the statement said, noting the profound impact on the Jewish community at a time when families should have been coming together to mark the start of Hanukkah.

Faith and multicultural leaders urged the people of New South Wales to remain united in the face of tragedy.

“In the face of this tragedy, we call on the people of New South Wales to remain steadfast in our commitment to peace, humanity and to each other as Australians,” the statement said.

“We will not let hatred and violence divide us. Across all our cultures and faiths, we will stand united in sympathy, compassion and solidarity.”

The joint message was issued by the Right Reverend Dr Michael Stead, Chair of the NSW Faith Affairs Council; Simon Chan AM, Chair of the Multicultural NSW Advisory Board; and Joseph La Posta, CEO of Multicultural NSW.

Investigations into the Bondi Beach terror attack remain ongoing.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

Three A-League men players arrested over betting scandal

Three A-League players were arrested by NSW Police this morning over an alleged betting scandal. Read more here.

Greece on track to repay last of IMF loans by end of March

Greek Finance Minister, Christos Staikouras, told Reuters on Monday that Greece will repay the final portions of bailout loans. 

‘Let Us Light A Candle For You’ campaign kicks off in time for Holy Saturday

With many Greek people unable to physically partake in Holy Week this year, many churches across Australia have jumped on the 'virtual candle' bandwagon.