X-ray reveals ancient Greek author of charred Vesuvius Scroll

·

A charred papyrus scroll buried by Mount Vesuvius nearly 2,000 years ago has been identified as a work by the Greek philosopher Philodemus. Using X-ray scans and digital unwrapping, researchers discovered the title and author—On Vices—marking the first time such details have been recovered this way, the Guardian has reported.

“It’s the first scroll where the ink could just be seen on the scan,” said Dr. Michael McOsker, a papyrologist at University College London. “Nobody knew what it was about. We didn’t even know if it had writing on.”

The scroll was digitally unwrapped to reveal writing, which researchers are working to decode. Photo: Vesuvius Challenge

The scroll, from a villa in Herculaneum believed to belong to Julius Caesar’s father-in-law, was carbonised in the AD 79 eruption. Most scrolls from the site are too fragile to open and the ink invisible, but recent advancements have changed that.

Last year’s Vesuvius Challenge, a global competition promoting AI-based scroll reading, awarded $700,000 for reading 2,000 ancient Greek letters. This scroll, PHerc. 172, housed at the Bodleian Libraries, was scanned in July. Researchers identified Greek words including “disgust” and eventually the text’s title and author, winning the challenge’s $60,000 prize.

The scroll may be the first of at least 10 volumes of On Vices, which explores topics like arrogance, greed, and flattery.

“We’re seeing evidence of ink in many of the new scrolls we’ve scanned but we haven’t converted that into coherent text yet,” said Dr Brent Seales, a computer scientist at the University of Kentucky, who co-founded the Vesuvius Challenge. “That’s our current bottleneck: converting the massive scan data into organised sections that are properly segmented, virtually flattened, and enhanced so that the evidence of ink can then be interpreted as actual text.”

McOsker noted: “The pace is ramping up very quickly … Everything we’re getting from the Herculaneum library is new to us.”

Source: Guardian

Cretan Convention - Web Banner

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Channel Nine and reporter Josh Bavas hit back after Bob Katter MP outburst

Channel Nine has condemned federal MP Bob Katter’s behaviour after a fiery press conference where he threatened journalist Josh Bavas.

Greek Orthodox Church in Gaza denies IDF evacuation order

Reports of an evacuation order for the Greek Orthodox Church of St Porphyrius in Gaza City have sparked confusion,

Historic night for Greek football as Panathinaikos, PAOK and AEK qualify for Europe

Panathinaikos, PAOK and AEK Athens all secured their places in the League Phase of European competition. Read more here.

Champions League 2025: Olympiacos braced for demanding League Phase

Olympiacos face a daunting challenge in this season’s UEFA Champions League after being drawn against some of Europe’s elite clubs.

Maria Sakkari storms into US Open third round with dominant win

Maria Sakkari has advanced to the third round of the US Open after an impressive straight-sets victory over Hungary’s Ana Bondar, 6–3, 6–1.

You May Also Like

Thanasi Kokkinakis sets up second round clash at Italian Open

Greek Australian Thanasis Kokkinakis managed to qualify for the second round of the Italian Open tournament on Wednesday.

Greek fighter jet crashes into sea, pilot safely rescued

A Greek Air Force F-16 (Block 52+ variant) fighter jet crashed into the sea near the small island of Psathoura in the northern Aegean.

COVID-19 vaccination not yet a priority for Stefanos Tsitsipas

The world No. 3 says he’s accepted that the ATP will likely make the vaccination mandatory but says he still has reservations.