Uber settles class action lawsuit with Australian taxi operators for $272 million

·

Uber has agreed to pay $271.8 million to Australian taxi and hire car drivers, operators and licence holders to compensate them for losing income and licence values when the rideshare giant moved into the Australian market.

This settlement, which is Australia’s fifth largest, follows a five-year legal battle.

More than 8,000 taxi and hire car owners are part of the class action suit, which was filed in 2019. The lawsuit alleges that Uber Australia and its parent companies knowingly operated illegally and therefore had an unfair advantage over taxi and hire car drivers who were complying with the law.

Lead plaintiff, Nick Andrianakis, described the settlement as a win for small businesses, taxi drivers, and operators within the taxi and hire car industry.

Uber
Uber is set to pay more than $200 million. Photo: Britannica.

“I’ve lost my passion for work,” Mr Andrianakis said.

“I lost my [taxi licence] plates that were half a million dollars each. And I lost my income that provided food on the table for my family.”

Mr Andrianakis said he was previously forced out of the taxi business when Uber was introduced in Australia. He revealed he had lost more than $1 million in total.

“My family has always been into taxis, my father drove taxis… my son drove taxis while he was at uni,” he said.

“But when Uber came to our shores illegally, like pirates, they broke every law, every regulation.”

The trial continues on Monday in the Supreme Court of Victoria but is expected to be abandoned.

Source: ABC News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Panarcadians Mother’s Day luncheon honours the mother tongue

The Panarcadian Association of Melbourne transformed its annual Mother’s Day luncheon into both a celebration and act of resistance.

St George College hosts Greek military delegation for Battle of Crete commemorations

St George College has welcomed a military delegation from Greece as part of the 85th Anniversary Commemorations of the Battle of Crete.

Adelaide’s Pontian community honours the memory of the victims of the Genocide

Adelaide’s Pontian and wider Greek community gathered on Sunday to commemorate Pontian Greek Genocide Commemoration Day 2026.

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

‘We are custodians of memory’: Melbourne marks Greek Genocide remembrance day

Melbourne paused in solemn unity on Sunday morning as the Pontian Greek Genocide was commemorated with a wreath-laying service.

You May Also Like

Greece’s Archbishop tests positive for COVID-19

The head of the Church of Greece, Archbishop Ieronymos, has tested positive for COVID-19 and is being treated with mild symptoms in a central Athens hospital.

Police investigate suspicious fire at Torrensville butcher shop Corinthian Meats

Adelaide butcher shop Corinthian Meats has been left badly damaged after a suspicious fire broke out in the early hours of Monday morning.

Cypriots for ANZACs: Placing Cyprus’ wartime legacy on the map in Sydney

The 2026 ANZAC Day march in Sydney provided a platform for communities to represent their wartime histories within the Australian narrative