Greek Australians share personal experiences as wildfires ravage Rhodes

·

In Greece’s largest-ever evacuation, some 30,000 people fled Rhodes on the weekend from the wildfires that have rampantly burned through the island.

Thousands of holidaymakers are among those who have fled Rhodes, Corfu and other regions in Greece, with tourists struggling to get home on evacuation flights.

On the island of Rhodes, travellers left villages and resorts to find safety, with some returning home to their country of residence whilst others remained on the island.

Three Greek Australians have shared details of the horrific scenes as fires ripped through the forest, and ash covered houses on the island of Rhodes.

Steve Toumbas and Gianna Spanos.

South Australian couple, Steve Toumbas and Gianna Spanos, were holidaying on Rhodes when wildfires tore across the island.

Steve, who was born on the island of Rhodes, said he was deeply saddened to see his home island overtaken with wildfires.

“Unfortunately, 70 percent of this beautiful green island has been burned,” he told Nine News.

The fire was only two kilometres from the village where Steve was born, and to escape the fires and find safety the couple fled to the next village 5 kilometres away.

“The community has stuck together and are doing the right thing; trying to put the fires out. They have been extremely hospitable, helping all the tourists, like me,” Steve said.

“All the people from the village[s] volunteer to help, and supply water, food, pizzas, to give people energy. They try to give us updates too.”

Partner, Gianna, was also born on the island and last week, they spent the week touring Rhodes.

“We toured the island a week ago with Steve,” Gianna said. “Everything was green last week.”

“And today everything is burned, ashes everywhere.”

Brooke Kotsos performs at the Lindos Imperial Resort and Spa, which was destroyed by fire on the Greek island of Rhodes. Photo: Brooke Kotsos.

As Steve and Gianna are faced with the deep sadness of seeing their hometown overrun with flames, another Greek Australian on Rhodes is attempting to “take people away from their struggles” with her performances.

Greek Australian singer and performer, Brooke Kotsos, from Melbourne, and fellow Australian singer, Hannah Gutierrez Cañon, were set to perform this month at the five-star Lindos Imperial Resort and Spa, which was burned down.

While Canon returned to Australia for personal reasons shortly before the fires lost control, Kotsos has remained on the island to see out the season and continue performing on the island, rather than return to Australia.

According to an interview with 9News, Kotsos’ decision to perform amid the wildfires is to help people “forget about all these problems.”

There were talks of cancelling the shows, but while performing on stage on Tuesday night, Kotsos said: “I’m here on stage to, you know, transform you and to move you to another world.”

Living in Faliraki, 45 minutes from where the fires first broke out, Kotsos is confident of her safety, remaining prepared with her passport and essentials at all times.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

Statue by the Lysicrates Foundation stands proudly in Martin Place, Sydney

A statue honouring Sir James Martin was unveiled by NSW Treasurer, Dominic Perrottet, in Martin Place in November 2020.

Greek WWII veteran gifts €23 million to Hellenic Armed Forces

97-year-old Iakovos Tsounis donated €23 million and 60 landing craft, declaring that he wanted to leave life as he began it — barefoot.

George Calombaris’ stint at Sydney’s Alpha restaurant ends after only five months

George Calombaris' stint as creative partner at popular Sydney Greek restaurant Alpha has come to an end after only five months.