Greece extends coronavirus lockdown at refugee camps

·

A coronavirus lockdown imposed since March on refugee camps in Greece has now been extended to May 21, the Migration and Asylum Ministry of Greece said in a statement on Sunday.

“The coronavirus measures of confinement for those living in refugee camps and in reception centres in Greece are prolonged until May 21,” the statement reads.

The ministry did not say why the camp lockdown was being extended.

Authorities have so far reported no coronavirus cases in the Aegean island camps for migrants and refugees. Source: Goran Tomasevic / Reuters.

Until now, there have been no coronavirus cases in the Aegean island camps, according to authorities.

On the mainland, however, two camps and a hotel accommodating refugees were locked down in April after positive coronavirus tests were returned.

READ MORE: Greece transfers almost 400 migrants from Lesbos camp to mainland.

The decision to extend the lockdown comes in the face of the Greek government promising to transfer 2,000 refugees from the islands to the mainland in order to ease the pressure on camps there.

Rights groups say this is not enough to produce a real improvement in conditions, especially given the dangers from the coronavirus pandemic.

They also fear that refugee rights are being eroded by the measures taken to curb the spread of coronavirus, but officials insist that Athens will continue to respect its international obligations.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

Cyprus’ Andreas Grigoriou to visit Australia to mark 51st anniversary of Turkish invasion

Andreas Grigoriou will visit Australia this July to participate in events marking the 51st anniversary of the Turkish invasion of Cyprus.

Australian Prime Minister attends name day celebrations for Archbishop Makarios of Australia

Australian Prime Minster Anthony Albanese was in attendance at the name day celebrations held for Archbishop Makarios of Australia.

New study finds high levels of name discrimination for job recruitment in Australia

The Leadership Quarterly found name discrimination is particularly pronounced in the recruitment of leadership positions in Australia.