Wimbledon: Tsitsipas, Kyrgios and Sakkari charge into round two

·

Stefanos Tsitsipas struggled to find his groove for much of his match against Swiss qualifier Alexander Ritschard this morning, but his resilience was enough to complete a 7-6(1), 6-3, 5-7, 6-4 first-round victory at the grass-court major.

“Obviously it is great to be back [at Wimbledon],” said Tsitsipas in his on-court interview.

“I have to congratulate Alexander for an incredible performance. I am sure we are going to see a lot of him,” the World No. 5 said.

This comes as earlier this morning Kyrgios took out a win against Great Britain’s Paul Jubb, winning 3-6, 6-1, 7-5, 6-7 (3-7), 7-5.

Kyrgios separately fought with the chair umpire, a linesperson and fans in the stands. After securing the victory, he spat on the court saying it happened after he received “pure disrespect” from the boisterous crowd.

“I’ve never, ever just gone to anyone else’s job and just blatantly spat, disrespected them. I don’t understand why people do that to athletes. It’s happening more and more in sport. Spectators are just … so disrespectful to the athletes,” the World No. 40 said.

Also victorious was Maria Sakkaria who won her opening round against Australian Zoe Hives last night.

The Greek won 6-1, 6-4, a victory which included claiming the opening set in just 26 minutes. Although Hives had three games in her pocket in the second set, Sakkari broke to take it to 4-1, before going on to take the win.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Dina Malathounis proposes $60m Kangaroo Island eco-resort

Melbourne designer Dina Malathounis has proposed a $60 million luxury eco-tourism resort on Kangaroo Island’s north coast.

Cyprus Community of NSW launches student scholarship to Cyprus

The Cyprus Community of NSW has launched a new international student scholarship, offering two NSW residents the chance to travel to Cyprus.

Costa Georgiadis asks kids stuck in isolation to snap photos of ‘What’s In Your Backyard’

Costa Georgiadis, has launched the 'What's In Your Backyard?' campaign to get kids outside during self-isolation and document what's in their backyard.