Stefanos Tsitsipas backs Australian Open COVID measures

·

Tennis world No. 3 Stefanos Tsitsipas has virtually committed to January’s Australian Open.

Tsitsipas, 23, described the tournament’s COVID-19 vaccine mandate for participating athletes as “fair”.

“I will play under the conditions that have been set now. I think it’s fair,” he said.

It comes one week after he declined to reveal his vaccination status ahead of the current Indian Wells tournament in California.

“I’m sorry but I’m not able to provide my medical … any of my medical records, or any of my medical status. Thank you,” Tsitsipas said last week.

While the Victorian government has not mandated the COVID-19 vaccine for tennis players, The Age this month confirmed it is probable a separate vaccine mandate will be required for tennis stars. 

Tennis Australia boss Craig Tiley has raised concerns that mandatory vaccination may turn top players away. 

Source: Sydney Morning Herald

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greek Orthodox schools honour top HSC achievers at Sydney ceremony

Students from Sydney’s Greek Orthodox schools were formally recognised this week for their results in the 2025 NSW HSC examinations.

Andrew Lazarus buys Horsley Park Tavern for $25 million

Hotelier Andrew Lazarus has purchased the Horsley Park Tavern in western Sydney for about $25 million, expanding his portfolio.

Mayor Jim Grivas responds to St Haralambos Greek Festival parking fine backlash

Mayor of Manningham, Jim Grivas, has acknowledged community anger over parking fines issued during the recent St Haralambos Greek Festival.

Alex Hawke dumped from Liberal Party frontbench in Angus Taylor reshuffle

Alex Hawke has been relegated to the backbench after new Opposition Leader Angus Taylor unveiled a revamped shadow cabinet.

Paul Nicolaou calls scaled-back Cutaway trading hours ‘disappointing’

Business Sydney's Paul Nicolaou criticised the NSW government’s decision to wind back plans for 24-hour trading at The Cutaway venue.

You May Also Like

Former Metropolitan Amphilochios of Ganos and Chora passes away

The former Metropolitan of Ganos and Chora, Amphilochios, died on Sunday, February 15, Archimandrite Nektarios Pokkias announced.

Axel Sidaros cleared of attempted murder, sentence reduced by five years

Sidaros won a new trial after an appeal and was ultimately cleared of the charge of attempted murder. He will be eligible for parole in 2024.

Eleni Tzortzopoulou: ‘Kythera Migration Museum may be ready in three years’

Eleni Tzortzopoulou shares with The Greek Herald: 'Kythera Migration Museum may be ready in three years.'