Postecoglou: A-League has chance to reset and prioritise football again

·

Former Socceroos coach, Ange Postecoglou, has said the coronavirus crisis is the perfect time to ‘reset’ the A-League and put football first when the season resumes.

In an interview with ABC‘s Offsiders, Postecoglou spoke about the troubles facing the A-League and its potential to lose momentum in the Australian sporting landscape.

“My beef about sport has always been, when I’ve sat in boardrooms with the most impressive businessmen going around, never forget what your prime product is. And your product is the sport,” Postecoglou told the program.

Former Socceroos coach, Ange Postecoglou, has always been passionate about football. Source: Mark Dadswell / WSG.

“So if you devalue the sport, you can save as much money as you want, eventually that devaluation is going to cost you.

“Football, irrespective of where it’s at, it wasn’t going great guns before this. Great chance now to reset the sport with football as its main core.”

Postecoglou is wary, however, of those saying player wages have to be cut post-crisis, arguing only a quality on-field product will deliver the rejuvenation Australian football needs.

The A-League is facing an uncertain future after the competition was postponed last month. Source: ABC.

“Hearing administrators talking about cutting costs, inevitably they go to the sport first, has never made sense to me. It is the sports that come out of this understanding that will be the ones to prosper the most,” he stressed.

The A-League is facing an uncertain future with at least seven of the 11 clubs standing down players and staff following the decision to postpone the competition last month.

There’s also concern broadcaster Fox Sports is attempting to walk out on its $57 million a year deal with the FFA, in a move which would remove a vital revenue stream for clubs.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC finish runners-up after strong OFC Pro League campaign

South Melbourne FC’s remarkable run in the inaugural OFC Pro League came to a narrow end on Sunday night, with Hellas going down 2-1...

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

You May Also Like

‘They’re bleeding us dry’: Queen Victoria Market’s fruit and veggie traders strike

Melbourne's beloved Queen Victoria Market (QVM) is in turmoil. For the first time in 147 years, the market sits silent as traders strike.

Melbourne man Andrew Triantafyllos charged over alleged $1m luxury car fraud

Accused swindler Andrew Triantafyllos has been charged after Victoria Police’s financial crimes squad raided his Essendon home.

‘Special Ks’ street art a huge hit in Melbourne’s iconic Hosier Lane

A larger-than-life poster featuring the 'Special Ks' - Thanasi Kokkinakis and Nick Kyrgios - has popped up at Melbourne's iconic Hosier Lane.