Novak Djokovic testing positive for coronavirus ‘takes the cake’, Kyrgios says

·

Nick Kyrgios has once again reacted to the the continuation of tennis during COVID-19, this time expressing outrage towards World No. 1 Novak Djokovic for testing positive after holding a charity tennis tournament.

Djokovic has been criticised for organising the tournament and bringing in players from other countries amid the coronavirus pandemic, issuing an apology to those affected on Tuesday.

Kyrgios had already said going ahead with the tournament was a “boneheaded decision” in a tweet on Monday. 

Nick Kyrgios proceeded to release footage on Twitter of Djokovic dancing in a nightclub with other tournament players.

“Prayers up to all the players that have contracted Covid- 19,” Kyrgios said, retweeting a video of the players dancing shirtless in Belgrade.

Read More: Stefanos Tsitsipas wishes Nick Kyrgios a happy birthday with hilarious phone prank

“Don’t @ me for anything I’ve done that has been ‘irresponsible’ or classified as ‘stupidity’ – this takes the cake.” 

Djokovic now admits he was wrong to organise the Adria Tour events. In a tweeted statement, Djokovic said he and his wife are currently asymptomatic and will self-isolate.

Novak Djokovic during the Adria Tour charity exhibition on June 13, 2020 in Belgrade, Serbia.Srdjan Stevanovic / Getty Images

“I am so deeply sorry our tournament has caused harm,” he said. 

“Everything the organisers and I did the past month, we did with a pure heart and sincere intentions.

“We believed the tournament met all health protocols and the health of our region seemed in good conditions to finally unite people for philanthropic reasons.

“We were wrong and it was too soon. I can’t express enough how sorry I am for this and every case of infection.”

Nick Kyrgios expressed similar disappointment exactly one week ago upon the reveal that the US Open is to go ahead with no spectators.

Labelling the decision as ‘selfish’, the Greek-Australian expressed that it wasn’t fair that Australian players will be forced to undergo a two-week quarantine period.

Read More: Nick Kyrgios says decision to let Grand Slam tournament go ahead is ‘selfish’

Nick Kyrgios also recently expressed his doubts over sport carrying on as a whole, responding to the new Ultimate Tennis Showdown tournament.

“I’m just not on board with new tennis events and sport going on in general with everything that’s going on at the moment,” Kyrgios said in a public reply to the UTS Showdown Twitter.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

Forgiveness (Cheesefare) Sunday: Preparing the heart of Great Lent

Forgiveness Sunday, also known as Cheesefare Sunday, is the final Sunday before the start of Great Lent in the Orthodox Christian Church.

Major restoration planned for Panagia Parigoritissa in Arta

Culture Minister Lina Mendoni described the church, dedicated to the Annunciation, as an outstanding late 13th-century Byzantine monument.

George Calombaris headlines expanded ‘Flavours of Greece’ line-up at Antipodes Festival 2026

Talking to the #LoveLonsdale stage across the festival weekend, Calombaris joins the growing 'Flavours of Greece' line up.

You May Also Like

Greek government to establish Mobile Passport Application Units in remote areas abroad

Mobile Passport Application Units are being established for Greek citizens residing in remote areas abroad.

32km firefront threatens Corinthia: Evacuations, casualties in deadly wildfire

A large wildfire near Xylokastro in eastern Corinthia, Peloponnese, that started on Sunday and claimed two lives, remains uncontrolled.

Oakleigh named among top 50 liveable suburbs in Melbourne

A recent survey has revealed the Greek-populated suburb of Oakleigh is among the top liveable suburbs in south-east Melbourne.