Nick Kyrgios remains hopeful about Australian Open participation

·

Nick Kyrgios has revealed he will avoid serving for the next few days to give himself the best chance of being fit for the Australian Open.

The 29-year-old, aiming to play in Melbourne for the first time in three years, withdrew from an exhibition match with Novak Djokovic on Wednesday, January 8, due to a grade-one abdominal strain.

“I’ve still got five days up my sleeve, so I’m just going to probably not serve for the next couple of days,” Kyrgios told Seven. “I’ll do everything I can to be ready in time.”

Nick Kyrgios to team up with Novak Djokovic for Brisbane International doubles
Nick Kyrgios teamed up with Novak Djokovic for Brisbane International doubles this year. Photo: Ryan Pierse/Getty Images.

Kyrgios, who returned to competition last week after 18 months due to knee and wrist injuries, expressed concerns about his wrist holding up for the Australian Open, stating it felt like “I’ve been hit by a bus” after his doubles matches in Brisbane. The abdominal strain, however, was an unexpected setback.

Kyrgios has had a busy summer off the court, from sparring with Jannik Sinner to his return to the Davis Cup fold after a four-year absence.

Source: Sydney Morning Herald

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Panarcadians Mother’s Day luncheon honours the mother tongue

The Panarcadian Association of Melbourne transformed its annual Mother’s Day luncheon into both a celebration and act of resistance.

St George College hosts Greek military delegation for Battle of Crete commemorations

St George College has welcomed a military delegation from Greece as part of the 85th Anniversary Commemorations of the Battle of Crete.

Adelaide’s Pontian community honours the memory of the victims of the Genocide

Adelaide’s Pontian and wider Greek community gathered on Sunday to commemorate Pontian Greek Genocide Commemoration Day 2026.

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

‘We are custodians of memory’: Melbourne marks Greek Genocide remembrance day

Melbourne paused in solemn unity on Sunday morning as the Pontian Greek Genocide was commemorated with a wreath-laying service.

You May Also Like

Sydney play to shine light on Jews from Rhodes set against backdrop of the Holocaust

Sydney’s most beloved Jewish performers bring to life Vic Alhadeff OAM’s play ‘Torn Apart by War’ at Australia’s largest synagogue.

Panathinaikos BC savour Aussie hospitality before historic trip to Australia 

Ambassador of Australia to Greece, Alison Duncan, hosted an Aussie barbeque at the Australian Residence in Athens for the Panathinaikos BC.

Acropolis Museum director: Reunification of Parthenon Marbles an ‘international demand’

The Director of the Acropolis Museum in Athens, Greece has said the reunification of the Parthenon Marbles is an 'international demand.'